Author Topic: Allison 4000 blinking gear selection  (Read 1996 times)

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Allison 4000 blinking gear selection
« on: July 15, 2020, 03:45:00 PM »
I release the parking brake and hit the D button.  The pad shows me a blinking 6 for the gear range of 6 forward gears and the transmission does not engage.  I hit the N button and get a solid N, then hit the D button again.  The D stays on (doesn't blink), the transmission engages and off we go.  What's going on?  What is the blinking 6 telling me?  I am not finding this condition in the Allison troubleshooting manual.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gerald Farris

Re: Allison 4000 blinking gear selection
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 04:39:57 PM »
David,
What was the engine RPMs when you tried to shift into drive? Excess engine RPMs will give you that condition.

Gerald

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 04:51:21 PM »
See if there are any trouble codes stored. Do you have a "Check Trans" warning light on your dash (and if so, does the light work)?

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 04:52:39 PM »
Our idle speed is right at 700 rpm, for reference; no blinking lights.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 06:36:46 PM »
It happened twice on the drive to Hermiston, Oregon from Yuma, Arizona.  I think the first time I had started the engine and set the idle up to about 900 RPMs to get the air built up faster after dry camping overnight.  I don't remember if I reduced the idle before pushing the D button.  It would be irregular for me to not press and hold the foot brake before de-actuating the parking brake and pressing the D button.  Pressing the foot brake automatically returns the engine to idle speed.  So... I don't know for sure if the engine was at its normal idle speed of about 700 RPMs.  The second time we had to stop in line on US395 South of Burns Junction for road crew maintenance.  I think I shut down the engine because the pilot-car had to return from the other end of the one-way traffic section... about 10-15 minutes.  I started the engine, de-actuated the parking brake and pushed the D button and a 6 flashed, then pushed the N button, then again pushed the D button and a 6 flashed again, then pushed the N button, then pushed the D button again... and off we went.  I am pretty sure the engine was at normal idle speed this time.

I do not remember seeing any dash lights on but I don't remember looking for any either.  Many of my dash lights are hidden behind the upper curve of the steering wheel... so unless I lean to one side I will not see most of those dash lights.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 03:12:03 AM »
David
I have to agree with Gerald I believe what you're experiencing is a shift inhibit which can be caused by many things including too high an idle RPM.
Check in the coach assist I just gave Steve the Allison 4000 troubleshooting manual.
I also have the mechanic tips guide if you PM me your email address I'll send you a copy.
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.