Author Topic: air ride problem, levels at first  (Read 4886 times)

Mike Shumack

Re: air ride problem, levels at first
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2020, 01:09:22 PM »
The left side is the on that's dropping

I understand that it is the left side dropping - I was just not sure if the left side is dropping "as it should" due to coach cargo weight and road conditions - and the right side is staying "high" because the RHCV can't dump any air to lower the right side as needed (to match the left side height) due to a bad or sticking right Travel solenoid.

Maybe I need to reread this thread from the beginning. Good luck.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2020, 01:25:16 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something. Bob stated that the problem only occurs when he is driving the coach. It maintains level when static, both in travel and level modes. So it would seem that he's not going to find any air leak when under the coach if it is sitting still as apparently the leak only occurs when road vibration is also present. If the preceding is accurate, IMHO his best bet is to take it to a shop that has a lift as I would be very hesitant to attempt to initiate an air leak in the leveling system while under the coach. His other option is to throw parts at it in hopes he'll find the leak.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2020, 03:09:14 PM »
I agree Steve if the problem only occured when in motion it must be either an intermittent leak at lines ride height valve or air bag
To test the air bags I would place the coach on a wheel lift and raise it to work on it then disconnect the effected side leveling control riddance inflate the air bags as far as possible ( to the check strap) while observing the bags for leaks in the section of the bags which are usually hidden.
I'd follow that up by working the ride height valve through a full range of motion while listening for can air leak at the valve.
And finally I'd do a wiggle test on all the air lines to the effected side to try and office a leak.

But as you said this is not a job to be undertaken on the ground without at least placing the rear wheels on blocks to gain at least 15 inches of ground clearance when fully deflated because of the danger of sudden air lose which could be deadly.
At best this is a scary job and best left to a seasoned professional.
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.
The following users thanked this post: Bob Disney

Bob Disney

• BAC Member
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2020, 04:43:20 PM »
I agree that under the coach with the issues Ive been having is no place to be.
I am planning on going to SPECTRAC in greater phoenix area when I'm gone, as I still haven't found a good service shop for this problem in the Des Moines area.
Has anybody had any experience with them?
Bob
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 12:21:38 AM by Bob Disney »
2005 Monterey Ventura IV
(the Beave)
just fits in the 40' shed
400hp C9 Cat
Towing various old Jeeps

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2020, 05:26:10 PM »
Bob,
We have no reports on Spectrac  from members. That said, I know of at least one reputable  RV sales and service shop that uses them for suspension work. They are on the east side of town. The only other shop with a lift I'm aware of is Masseys on the west side of town. I've used them since 2005 with no issues.
Let  us know how Spectrac treats you.
BTW you asked about driving the coach with the list. Should not be a problem. A list can put some pressure on the drive shaft universal but it has to be pretty severe to cause an issue. I drove our Marquis from Van Horn TX to Chandler AZ (~ 550 miles) with blown air bags on the right rear with no problems except a very rough ride.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Bob Disney