Author Topic: Cat fuel water seperator is leaking  (Read 2493 times)

Jason Worman

Cat fuel water seperator is leaking
« on: July 26, 2020, 01:31:25 PM »
Good morning,

I have noticed a black stain on the asphalt by the left rear engine compartment. I crawled under the rig and noticed my fuel water seperator part #175-2949 was leaking from the bottom where the little turn knob is located. The knob is tight have not touched it. Touched my fingers to it and was wet with fuel. I have a hand pump primer unit attached to it. If I start the engine will fuel spray everywhere?

Thank you

Jason Worman

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: Cat fuel water seperator is leaking
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 02:53:00 PM »
Jason, there is a little ring in The drain valve but the fuel spray when you start up is kinda odd.
My suggestion replace water / fuel filter and plastic bowel on filter bottom. Reason at some point
Water / filter is due to be replaced along with orang.  Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 04:27:05 PM »
If I start the engine will fuel spray everywhere?
Jason Worman

The Water/Fuel Separator is on the "suction side" of the fuel pump so a leaking housing gasket or drain will suck air, not spray fuel.

Jason Worman

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 10:12:41 PM »
Mike,

Will it be okay to drive to shop to get all filters and oil change done? I put a glass out to catch drips, it is clear fuel. One drop probably every 24 hours or so. Thanks
Jason

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 10:52:05 PM »
It should not spray fuel, it is on the suction side, get another filter and change it.