Author Topic: diesel overflow  (Read 3857 times)

Cloyd Robinson

diesel overflow
« on: July 27, 2020, 07:32:06 PM »
The last 2 times I have filled my diesel tank, it overflows out of somewhere on top of the tank before it backs up in the fill tube. Both times I was filling very slowly trying not to overflow out the fill tube(a continual problem) and I hear fuel hitting the ground below the tank. Anybody have experience with this?

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
Re: diesel overflow
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 10:15:22 PM »
Yes!  I had the same problem with my '06 Monterey.  There is a vent hose that runs from each fill pipe (one on each side) that is supposed to allow air to escape as you fill the tank.  The vent hose goes through holes in the frame straight across the upper front of the fuel tank.  Over time, mine rubbed a hole in the vent hose on the drivers side of the tank where it rubbed on the frame hole.  If you shine a flashlight above the drivers side front tire, you will see the large rubber fuel fill hose (about 2") running back to the fuel tank.  Going straight across is the smaller vent hose (about 3/4").  Any of the hoses could be the source of your leak, but mine was the vent hose.  I extended the generator and climbed up in there at the front of the fuel tank.  I cut the hose off where it was leaking and used a 3/4 inch brass hose connector with hose clamps to repair it.  It has been fine for two years.  Others with the same vintage coaches as ours have had the same problem, so I suspect it is rather common.  Beaver should have used a more robust reinforcement for the hose where it goes through the frame holes.  I hope yours is as easy to fix as mine.

Richard   
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp

Bob Disney

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 04:09:23 PM »
Our 05 Monterey had a leak and it turned out to be the fill line hose on the passenger side.
It leaked where it rubbed at the P clamp
60 inches of 2 inch fuel line took care of it. Super easy fix, Put it on ramps and remember to slide out the genny.
It appeared that there was less foaming with the new line compared to the old line so I may replace the other side as well.
I also made  bibs for the fuel fill openings that allows the foam and fuel to clear the side of the coach when it burps.
I used 1/8" rubber, made a rectangle then cut a hole in one end a little smaller then the neck of the fill collar  (2" I think )
They fold up inside of the locked fuel door without taking them off.
Hate it when it foams, but don't need it running down the side. 
Coach is in the shop, will send pic when when available

2005 Monterey Ventura IV
(the Beave)
just fits in the 40' shed
400hp C9 Cat
Towing various old Jeeps
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 10:24:49 PM »
Thanks, Bob.  This is the first truly practical and likely effective fix for this prevalent issue (foamback) that many of us have had to tolerate or work around for over a decade.

Now if only the ad at the bottom of this site hadn’t made it hard to find the Quick Reply button.  I didn’t think the ads were supposed to appear after logging in, but there it is.  Maybe just a glitch in my device software.

Joel

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 10:44:02 PM »
Bob had trouble loading these photos here, so am posting for him. 

What a great idea.  I’d ephemerally imagined similar solutions, while mopping diesel off the coach, but never thought far or long enough to engineer one.  Kudos to him for its simplicity, handiness, and no doubt it’s effectiveness.

Joel

The pix may look sideways here, but if so, tap each to expand it and it should square up. 
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 01:27:10 AM »
A great idea. My list continues to grow with fixes, upgrades, and whatever else I can do to keep going down the road!

Thanks for the pictures for this super idea!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Bob Disney

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 03:01:11 AM »
 The fuel bibs stay on the fuel tank filler stem all the time
1/8” inch rubber cut into.a rectangle then a 2” hole towards one end
It folds up inside the fuel door openings
A little caution when closing the door is required, but it is quite easy with a little patience
I bought the rubber off of eBay
2 square feet is more than enough for both sides
Happy to share

Thanks to Joel for posting the pictures,
Bob
2005 Monterey Ventura IV
(the Beave)
just fits in the 40' shed
400hp C9 Cat
Towing various old Jeeps
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Cloyd Robinson

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 10:20:49 PM »
What a great idea to keep the burp from drooling down the side of the coach! I appreciate all the ideas on my leak and checked all the suggestions off. I finally took the coach to the fuel stop, topped it off, and when I heard the overflow, I crawled under with a flash ligfht and identified where it is coming from. There is about a 3/4 inch OD hose hanging about halfway down the front of the fuel tank. This is where the fuel is coming out. When it started to leak, I heard this fairly loud CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK noise that continued until the fuel stopped coming out.  Anyone know what is going on? I am tempted to get a plug and hose clamp and seal the hose but it is obviously there for some reason.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 10:54:53 PM »
Possibly that fuel tank vent line has a check valve in it (that would normally only let air in as the fuel level drops, and is supposed to stop fuel from coming out (i.e. such as in a rollover) - but now the vent valve has failed as is stuck open.
I'm not sure what Beaver-Monaco did.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 12:03:11 AM »
You can probably use a ~5 PSI check valve to replace the failed one.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 01:03:39 AM »
Ive seen that same hose on my same coach, just back of the genset area, and once mistook it for leaking when it turned out to be a newly tech-replaced generator oil filter.

I agree with Mike;  the one-way fluid valve needs replacing, though I can't say exactly how to do that.  Easy enough perhaps if the valve is in the end of the hose.  Others here will know.  Either the valve has weakened or a piece of debris drawn in on the road or dirt build-up is not allowing it to close.  If its just that and not weakness, you may be able to clean/clear it and reinstall.  The clicking could have been air sucking back in the tank between drips.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Cloyd Robinson

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 07:22:44 PM »
Looks like we have an agreement on the problem. It looks like the only way to get to the stuck valve is to drop the tank. Now that sounds like a fun project. It would be nice to find an inline valve that I could attach to the end of the hose.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2020, 07:57:59 PM »
You maybe able to use something like this https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=98/mode=prod/prd98.htm?msclkid=820d96d16e3c1a9000dac997de0438c2&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP%20Shop%20-%20Under%20%2420&utm_term=4588193303723311&utm_content=98%20%7C%20Remote%20Mount%20Rollover%20Vent%20Valve%20%7C%20%2415
I would just check to be sure it works in the position you would need to install it (hanging or on its side, etc.)