Author Topic: Should there be a screen in the exterior dryer vent opening?  (Read 2881 times)

Mike Shumack

I have wasps in the dryer vent opening. This is the second time. I found out when I started working in the wet bay.

Should there be a screen over the opening of this vent?

If there is a screen, I think it would need to be large enough to not trap lint (is that would be a problem) but small enough to block wasps. Maybe a screen that is easy to remove for cleaning.

Does anyone with a similar dryer vent setup have a screen in theirs?

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Should there be a screen in the exterior dryer vent opening?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 08:39:12 PM »
Mike
I just installed a new slendid drier vent on my coach and it didn't come with any type of screen.
I think as you did about putting one in to stop the mud robbers and need etc. But in consideration it would have to be a fairly fine mesh and that would just hold lint and plug up very quickly and I think these splendid washer/ drier combos need all the air flow they can get.
Good luck
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 08:39:44 PM »
Mine only has a flapper in the vent on the outside of the coach.
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 08:50:21 PM »
My dryer vent has a round hole through the coach wall with a round flap that covers the hole when the dryer is not running.  Similar to your picture, our dryer vent hole and its covering flap have a rectangular cover to keep weather out.  And no, ours does not have a screen either on the outside or into the vent hose going into the dryer.  The reason I know this is because I turn on the dryer and run a large diameter vent cleaner brush into the vent hole to pull out lint that sticks in the vent hose.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 09:20:42 PM »
David
On my coach I have both the one for my newly installed cooling fan vent is as you say with a larger rectangular chrome plated plastic cover Westland # VID403AC and has a flap which opens with air flow.
The other one for my drier vent is a bit smaller and is a chrome plated white metal casing but has no flapper I don't think it is available anymore not through my sources anyway.
If I had to replace the drier vent again I'd use the Westland vent with the flapper.
They come in black or chrome I opted for chrome no painting needed.
Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 09:57:18 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
My Coach does have the "flap" between the coach wall and that vent in the photo so nothing can get into the Coach (or into the dryer).
I just wasn't sure about the screen. Maybe I'll stick some stainless steel wool in there to keep the wasps/bugs out and just (need to remember to) remove it before I use the dryer each time.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 10:03:29 PM »
Mike, I wouldn't think you would was a screen because sooner or later it will get full of lint that passes from the dryer.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 10:13:08 PM »
I agree Lee. Thanks

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 10:31:25 PM »
I can’t get Splendide’s vent kit page to fully open, to view their options.  That issue aside, I noticed wasps a time or two near our chrome vent.  I see no flapper up inside, and there is an annual problem with mud wasps in our roof air conditioners.  They are a problem for anyone working on the roof, much more so working on an AC unit.  I thought I might cut a piece of aluminum window screening and bend it’s edges to act as a “spring-loaded” fit into the vent orifice.  I wouldn’t think it would interfere that much with airflow, at least not as much as a mud nest.  A home dryer has a lint screen of much finer mesh.  It could be easily removed to clean off any lint as needed.

I’ve also put mothballs under the AC shrouds with limited success (timing is important), and might try taping one inside the dryer vent opening.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 10:54:51 PM »
Joel
I hear ya on the A/C units I've seen all sorts of things nested in the A/c unit's I've even had one with a larger bees next that was built n the fan and had held the fan so it couldn't turn .
As mentioned earlier the Westland vent does have a flapper.
I'm surprised no one offers a stainless mud dobber screen like they do for fridge vents and hot water and furnace exhasts
Let us know how you make out with a screen fab who knows maybe you could patterns them and get rich.lol
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2020, 03:13:52 PM »
Mike,
Try applying some eucalyptus oil or lemon to the vent tube. Both apparently repel wasps.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Mike Shumack

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2020, 03:39:08 PM »
good idea.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2020, 06:19:11 PM »
Paper wasps invaded my engine air inlet, upper left side of rear cap. They were persistent in trying to rebuild that nest, even after I evicted them. Our dryer vent has not been appropriated (yet), but in our case we had to leave Glacier Park in order to be rid of the pests. One item you could try, if you can't relocate the coach, is to fashion a wood or plastic plug to fit the rectangular dryer vent opening. Then get one of those 'remove before flight' red ribbons from a pilot buddy, and put a sticker on the washer dryer so the wife  can yell at you to remove the (*%!%) plug before she washes a load of bath towels.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."