Author Topic: Paint blistering on entry door  (Read 1657 times)

harry kew

Paint blistering on entry door
« on: August 02, 2020, 08:55:45 PM »
Have paint blistering on lower part of entry door
Anyone know what causes this ?
How it can be repaired?
And how to prevent it from happening
Thank you

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Paint blistering on entry door
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 10:57:43 PM »
   Hi Harry,
 It is not blistering but appears to be electrolysis caused by dissimilar metals interacting with each other. The only fix is to sand it down to the metal and prep with zinc oxide to seal the metal. Then primer and paint. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 02:00:07 AM »
Harry
The bad news is what you are looking at is corrosion as Fred mentioned the bad news is when you sand it you will find holes in the aluminum skin .
I've seen a couple of these including the door on my coach it is usually caused by water getting inside the door ( a leak in the upper door or in my case the front cap seam above the door )
Once the water gets inside the door the wood behind the outter aluminum skin holds the water keeping the aluminum skin wet causing the corrosion.
To fix this first you have to find and stop the leak then either dismantle the door and replace the inner ply wood and new aluminum skin or as Fred was saying sand the corrosion off to clean aluminum patch any holes with a good epoxy ( west system) then an epoxy primer and paint.
Or just do what I did and get a nice piece of polished stainless steel cut and screw it to the bottom section of the door covering the effected area.
Good luck
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

harry kew

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 04:56:27 AM »
Thanks Fred and Eric
Good advice another project to put on my list

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 05:29:38 AM »
I did exactly what Harry did and: problem solved. Glued on a piece of polished SS after first smoothing the mounting surface area.

Larry fritz
Larry Fritz

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 04:51:29 PM »
Harry, blistering but appears to be electrolysis caused by dissimilar metals interacting with each other, over a 5-6 year I spent 4-5,000 trying to fix this issue. I was told by Steve the lead painter at Beaver Coach sale that the repairs we did would be temporary at best the issue is the electrolysis will continue. I would also suggest the SS plate or except the fact.

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13