Author Topic: Speedometer needle going crazy  (Read 1454 times)

Jason Worman

Speedometer needle going crazy
« on: August 03, 2020, 08:33:59 PM »
Hi,

So we are cruising down the road and the speedometer needle is making like a Mexican jumping bean. Any thoughts?

Jasom Worman

Keith Phillips

• BAC Member
Re: Speedometer needle going crazy
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 11:58:52 PM »
Hi Jason, on my 91 Baronet I had that problem. I pulled the speedometer out and not knowing what I was doing started flipping the dip switches on the back. I ended up calling the manufacturer and they gave me the formula to reset the switches properly. Don’t do what I did, until you take a picture of the switches. I had a lot of electrical corrosion problems mostly from the age of the equipment, once the switches were moved and were put back correctly the speedometer worked great. On my Marquis the speedo went bad and I put a GPS operated speedometer in it and the company(can’t remember now but can find it if you need it) set the mileage to the correct number so all is good. Hope this helps.
Keith & Anna Mae Phillips
1992 Beaver Marquis 325 hp 3176 Cat (Jan 2017-Apr 2023)
1991 Beaver Baronet  250 hp 3116 Cat (Feb 2014-Jan 2017)
USCG CWO4 Ret.
Graham WA

Jason Worman

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 01:32:16 AM »
Keith

Thank you for tge help, will did what you did with taking pics. Awesome that someone else owns the same vintage of Beaver that we do! What kind of luck did you have with your Cat 3316? Do far motor seems to be solid, we just turned 80k. Still have a lot to learn.

Jason and Barbara

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 02:13:47 AM »
   Hi Jason, Not really sure what the fix is but I am responding to share a few facts with you. It is essential that you get it fixed with the correct odometer reading. Some guys just throw on another speedometer and don't worry about the odometer. With today's technology and information available all across the board that would cause a red flag in the event the coach gets sold. Then they have you fill out a new document called a TMU, which means "true mileage unknown". This document now follows the coach but the worst part is it devalues the coach 50%. When I worked for Beaudry RV back in the 90's and we got a coach in for a speedo repair we shared this with them so they understood how important it was to accurately perform the repair for their benefit. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Jason Worman

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 02:59:58 AM »
Fred,

Thank you for added insight, glad to know that the speedometer repair/replacement not to be taken likely

Jason