Author Topic: Water filtration advice  (Read 1642 times)

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
Water filtration advice
« on: August 08, 2020, 03:56:45 PM »
Another Newbie issue.  Water pressure decreased significantly at kitchen faucet.  Took nozzle off and it was loaded with sediment.   Alas... I realized that I need to acquire something for water filtration. 

Coach is 2004 Beaver Marquis.  Used infrequently now but will increase in a few years upon retirement. 

This issue reminds me of the time that I was considering purchase of an electric surge protector .... only to find out that the Marquis already has one built in.  So that leads to the first question... does the 2004 Marquis have built-in filtration?   I am aware of the ice maker filter but nothing beyond that.

If I’m going to have to buy a filter or filtration system my preference would be:
- one that doesn’t restrict water pressure /flow
- one that foremost removes sediment but also any other impurities/odors
- one that is serviceable - replaceable filter cartridges
- one that isn’t difficult to install/setup

Sorry for so many questions but with all the experts on here I’m sure many of you have addressed these issues. 

Thanks
Rick V
2004 Beaver Marquis, Garnet (3 slides)
43'
C12

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Water filtration advice
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 04:20:59 PM »
The sediment you found may be more of a maintenance issue than one requiring an add on filter. We use a carbon based taste and odor cartridge on the city water hose, the typical blue cartridge that you see in the campgrounds.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 04:47:34 PM »
We also have a 2004 Marquis.  We place a blue filter (get them at Walmart) on the end of the reel-out water hose, then attach the filter to the water faucet.  If the water tank is empty, then it takes nearly an hour to fill the tank.  I agree that by the time the shore water gets through the filter, then 40 feet of reel-out hose, then through the red hat valve and coach plumbing, there is not much water pressure at the shower and faucets.  What we do is make sure the water tank is at least 1/3rd filled and turn on the water pump.  The water pump will augment the water pressure up to an acceptable level.

If we will be parked for awhile or if we are in a bad-water area (Arizona, for example), then we attach our water-softener tank between the blue filter and the 40 foot reel-out water hose.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 02:25:07 AM »
We pretty much do the same as David, using the On The Go unit here, often cheapest at a Camping World sale:
https://www.portablewatersoftener.com/shop/water-softeners/portable-standard-water-softener?SKU=OTG4-StdSoft

The blue Camco filter is affordable and replacements readily available, and I use it to keep grit out of the softener.  But I’ve had a lot of trouble with them being leaky around the connectors, especially the short, spring-flex protected hose extension they include.  Don’t know why, but using that extension it just leaks no matter how many new ones or washers I try.

As David alludes to, it’s common to maintain max faucet pressure by augmenting city water with tank water via the pump.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat