Author Topic: WeBoost Cable Run Location  (Read 1954 times)

Peter Whiting

• BAC Member
    • Seattle Yachts
WeBoost Cable Run Location
« on: August 08, 2020, 09:38:40 PM »
I purchased the weboost Drive X RV cell signal booster to install on our 2008 Beaver Contessa.  Has anyone had experience on where to run the cabling?  I need to run from the mount on the roof ladder forward and can’t find an easy way to run the cabling.
2008 Beaver Contessa Pacifica 40

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: WeBoost Cable Run Location
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 11:16:24 PM »
Peter,
I’m assuming the antenna requires a vertical mount which is why you chose the ladder. The other option would be to mount it to the crank up TV antenna, assuming you have one, which would obviate the need for a long cable run, but would probably impact the booster’s effectiveness when the TV antenna wasn’t extended.
Since the mfgr recommends the booster be ~10’ away from the phone for good performance, you pretty much have to mount it in the front of the coach. I see 2 options in running the cable; across the roof or under the body. If you choose the roof option the cable can be run next to existing roof items such as the tank vents, solar panels, TV antenna or satellite dish etc.  Adhere the cable to the roof about every 3-4’ with Dicor or a similar product. Key is to not allow any slack in the cable between adhesion points as this could result in the cable “flapping” in the 65-70 mph wind when driving. At the front of the coach locate where you want the cable to enter, (I’d assume an overhead cabinet in the front cap). Drill a hole and route the cable to the intended booster location. Since the booster power supply needs AC, the cabinet of choice will probably be the AV equipment one. If so, just be sure to use the AC outlet that stays on when the engine is running (not the TV power outlet). Seal the hole in the roof with Dicor and you are done.
Running it under coach is a tougher and dirtier job. Obviously you have to avoid the slides, but you may find routing paths used by other cables if you open the slides for access while doing the job. Once at the front of the coach, I’d run the cable into the front electrical bay (under driver window) and then up into the coach. I use a hanger wire wrapped with tape and fish it through from the electrical bay. Once it’s through, tape the cable to it and pull it through. The problem here (IMHO) is access to AC for the power supply. The obvious outlet is in the center console. However, this seems to require the booster also be located near the center console. Accessing the overhead cabinets requires running the cable/wire through one of the windshield posts.

Just noticed that the mfgr sells an omni antenna building mounting bracket #901133. This looks like the optimal solution IMHO. Mount it to the roof over the desired cabinet location and drill an access hole for the cable. Seal both the cable entry and the mounting screws with Dicor

In any case, have fun…
Steve
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 11:40:44 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Peter Whiting

William Jordan

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 02:35:44 PM »
I mounted the power /booster on the side of the refrigerator cabinet ( and used power from the inverted ice maker / refrigerator plugs. Ran the outside antenna cable , since I still have the gas fridge vent , up Through there and as far away as the cable let me go (to prevent  interference with the inside antenna if not mounted many feet away) I then used a piece of 8x8 square metal ground plane silicone glued to the roof to attach the magnetic Omni direction antenna. It’s beside my shower skylight so I can see it. The inside antenna is run the opposite direction ( distance ) in the dinette cabinet with the hotspot mounted next to it.
As a note , I have had this for 4 years and rarely use it anymore as I use a mimo window unpowered antenna and get great results on my 2 hotspots.  The weboost is a very picky device that can in many cases cause more problems than it solves. But I keep it for edge of service situations.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 02:43:36 PM by William Jordan »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 03:24:42 PM »
Bill,
Mounting plate is a good idea but the 08 Contessa models have the reefer in one of the slides so there is no roof top vent. One the ideas on the mfgr's web site was to run the cable through a slide gasket but IMHO that would lead to leaks at some point.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gary Curtis

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 02:57:57 PM »
In my coach the Refer is also in the slide so my only options are the AV cabinet or the W/C.

I plan to go through the roof at the AV cabinet and run all of the wires to the roof through that one location.

I will use Gorilla Tape along the wire route to hold it down and for UV protection.

I will have a Cat-5 Ethernet wire and 12VDC running to a WIFI Ranger Denali Outdoor Router as well as the weBoost wiring though that same location.

I like the idea mention above about the indoor MIMO antenna but the L1000 5G Hot Spot that I purchased does not have external antenna inputs so I have to go with an expensive cell phone booster solution.  I also plan to use my Samsung Note 10 in USB Tether mode to an indoor WIFI Ranger Aspen Router when I run out of L1000 Hot Spot Data so I will also need a cell phone boost solution for that option.

I have not looked into how to power all this equipment yet.  I plan to have it all in one location with battery backup/surge suppression in a Tech Cabinet that accents my wall mount computer.
Gary & Bonnie Curtis (Cincinnati, OH)
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder - Hanover 44    #043155
CAT C-13, 525HP, Alison 4000MH
Towing 2019 Tesla M3 (Sparkie)