Author Topic: Charge Line  (Read 1633 times)

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
Charge Line
« on: August 09, 2020, 11:41:50 PM »
I am planning to add a charge line from my 7 pin connector to the battery on my CRV.  I already have a 4 wire flat connector pigtail to a 7 pin plug.  I have also identified the switched terminal that provides 12 volts for the charge line.

Having said that I did  a search on here that recommends 2 fuses in the line.  I know that I need one between the 7 pin plug and the battery.  Where would the other fuse go?  The 7 pin outlet is already wired into the coach and I really do not want to take it out to wire in a fuse, but certainly can if needed.  Also what would you recommend for wire gauge and fuse size?

Just looking for a little guidance here.  I realize that there is more than one way to skin this cat, I am just looking for the best way.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Charge Line
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 03:52:52 AM »
  Carl, Run a 12 gauge wire thru a 20 amp fuse from the CRV battery to a plug you can disconnect from your toad to the charge line from the coach, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 03:28:18 PM »
Carl,
The reason that you install a fuse in the wire close to the battery on both ends of a charging wire is that in the event of a short at any location in the circuit (plug/connector, umbilical cord, or wiring), you are protected from the fire hazard of overheated wiring. Remember that both ends of a charging circuit are connected to a battery, so fusing is required to protect against a short. I personally use 10 gauge wire and 30 amp fuses on charging circuits just incase I have a low toad battery from sitting and some recharging is necessary, but the 12 gauge wire and 20 amp fuses that Fred mentioned should be adequate.

Gerald

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 03:50:14 PM »
Thanks everyone!  Hopefully I will get time to get it wired in today.  I will be able to unplug from both the coach and the CRV.  Now I just need to find a good spot to pull the breakaway wiring through the firewall.  New cars are much more sealed up than the older ones were, but Just have to find a spot commit and do it.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126