Author Topic: From Lead Acid to AGM Batteries-advice, please  (Read 7873 times)

Dominic . Sue Ambrosino

• BAC Member
From Lead Acid to AGM Batteries-advice, please
« on: August 21, 2020, 09:46:35 PM »
It's time for new batteries. I will be going with AGM's. Looking at Lifeline or VMAX  (model XTR6-235 6V). I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations or experience with AGM's and would recommend a specific manufacturer?

2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder
42' Vicksburg
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 
2005 Patriot

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: From Lead Acid to AGM Batteries-advice, please
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 11:16:12 PM »
The AGM is a good brand, Interstate is also good, take a look at lithium they are more but give you more amps and longer life.
I was told by the Interstate sales person that the Gel Cell they offer is made by the same company as AGM.

Interstate does make AGM batteries as well. They are very high quality, and usually come in at a lower cost per same size battery. They are a popular OEM replacement for factory AGM batteries, and actually act as an original supplier for many brands as well. Interstate also has slightly better warranty coverage for their batteries overall, and with service centers all over the country, you might have easier access to getting a replacement.

If you subject your batteries to harsh conditions, especially ones with high heat and vibration, then the Optima might be better for you. The weight savings is usually an advantage in these high performance applications as well, so these two aspects go hand in hand to make Optima the best pick of the two in those cases.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 12:24:09 AM by Jerry Carr »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13
The following users thanked this post: Dominic . Sue Ambrosino

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 11:38:53 PM »
I went with Crown AGMs. Good value, American made, and they’ve been in business for 80 years.
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 12:02:02 AM »
Your V-Max have a pretty good capacity at 235aH.  But you pay for the extra 15aH.  220aH is adequate for me.

Although I was leaning toward replacing all my batteries with Costco wet cell Interstates (my original Interstates went 12 years before showing failure signs), I’m now thinking I’ll go AGM’s, and when I researched last fall the best deal was actually at Batteries + Bulbs.  They offer a 10% “order online coupon” that takes the price below most others.  Unfortunately, Costco doesn’t offer 6v deep cycle AGMs, or they’d likely be the better deal.

I see now that Batteries + has changed some batteries and prices, so you’ll have to do your own shopping around.  The specific GC2 AGM I thought I was considering isn’t on the website, and the other options have been shuffled;  but pricing seems better.  As I recall though, my local store had a other available ones than what was on the website.  So I reckon we’ll both be shopping around a bit.

They do have a Crown, like Chuck refers to:

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sligc2agm

It would be about $258 after the online order coupon code.

Lithium is big bucks and usually means charger modifications and specialized tech labor that add up fast.  Although the wave of the future, for most of us they’re not practical retrofits.

I’ll be checking their 31-MHD chassis ones also.  Their Duracell’s were on my list, but I may check AGM chassis options there and at Costco too.

Joel
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 12:56:42 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 12:17:43 AM »
For what it’s worth, last October I was able to get (4) Crown AGM 6CRV220 GC2 for $914 delivered and then my local auto parts gave me $40 for my old batteries.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 12:50:33 AM »
What auto store, Chuck?  That’s $118 less (for 4) than Batteries +.  Of course, prices may vary across the country at the same retailer.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 02:44:41 AM »
  Dominic,
What ever you decide, please do not forget to change the charging profile on your inverter/charger. In the owners manuals for the coach components, find the one for the Xantrex. They will advise you what settings to adjust for various battery types.
    From a tech's point of view, I would go with the AGM maintenance free batteries for trouble free operation. Over the years I have found that batteries are the number one most neglected support system. Out of sight, out of mind!
    This does not apply to us "motor heads" because we love to play and love on our coaches. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 02:47:53 AM »
Life PO4 (lithium) batteries require no special charging method; in fact, a simple bulk charge is all that is required.

See:https://battlebornbatteries.com/charging-battleborn-lifepo4-batteries/

Any modern inverter charger (Xantrex, Magnum) can be programmed to charge lithium.

The cost, I'll grant you, gives me pause, but sooner or later, we will all be using lithium, as it is a superior battery.

2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 04:15:17 AM »
What auto store, Chuck?  That’s $118 less (for 4) than Batteries +.  Of course, prices may vary across the country at the same retailer.

I just looked at the receipt and it was with High Tech battery and they had a first time purchasing discount of 10%.

Gary Curtis

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 04:37:24 PM »
I recently purchased new chassis batteries for the Beaver. I went to Batteries Plus. If you order online and pickup at the store they give you a 10% discount. Plus when you pick the batteries up they will help you lift them and 8D AGMs weigh in at 160lbs each so something to consider.

I replaced the Group 31 chassis batteries with two of their X2 Power batteries (SLI31AGMDPM) 1150A CCA, 220min Res Capacity. I could have spent a whole lot less but I don't like surprises when I go to start the motor. The capacity of these batteries is equvalent to 4D AGMs. The X2 Power 8Ds (SLI8DAGMDPM) 1450A CCA, 500min Res Capacity are pricey $700. Im saving up for 2 next year.

The Patriot came with an all electric option which is basically what I have done with my coach.  The difference is like night and day from the old Group 31, 950A CCA that came with the coach.

Battery Options from the 2007 schematics...Dwg 38010781.

Gary & Bonnie Curtis (Cincinnati, OH)
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder - Hanover 44    #043155
CAT C-13, 525HP, Alison 4000MH
Towing 2019 Tesla M3 (Sparkie)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2020, 12:26:59 AM »
Gary, 160# each?  That’s gonna be a challenge for my 4-surgery back!  Taking the coach to them is not too viable an option for me as the tray needs refurbishing while empty, and I only trust myself to wire things back up correctly anyway.

The existing wet-cell GC2 (2200) Interstates are only ~60lbs, and the chassis ones ~56lbs.  Standard group 31 chassis AGM’s are about 67 lbs.  Are our OEM trays gonna be up to that much extra weight?  That will also affect my already curbside-heavy weight distribution, and possibly a slight rear tire pressure adjustment.

Their site says the SLIGC2AGM is only 66 lbs.  Your 8D’s:  they fit okay where GC2 or 31’s do?  A bit too expensive for me, and the factory Interstate 31’s have never not started the coach nor needed boost assist.

Joel
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 12:45:17 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2020, 02:02:32 AM »
Joel, my main reason for going to AGMs (aside from needing new batteries) was to keep the battery tray looking nice after the refurbishment.

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2020, 02:16:44 PM »
We switched to AGM about 6 years ago.  Don’t recall the brand name but I would never go back to wet cell batteries.  Too much maintenance for my preference.  The AGM’s have been reliable, maintenance free and much cleaner. 
Rick V
2004 Beaver Marquis, Garnet (3 slides)
43'
C12
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Gary Curtis

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2020, 01:06:39 PM »
My Patriot has two battery bays.  One bay is a double decker.  One 8D fits on the top (House 1) and two Group 31s (Chassis 1&2) fit on the bottom. In the aft bay there is a second 8D (House 2). So each tray is supporting 150-160 lbs of batteries.

Both the house and the chassis batteries were AGM and after 13 years no need to restore the trays they look like new with the exception of some grimy diesel dust.
Gary & Bonnie Curtis (Cincinnati, OH)
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder - Hanover 44    #043155
CAT C-13, 525HP, Alison 4000MH
Towing 2019 Tesla M3 (Sparkie)

Dominic . Sue Ambrosino

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2020, 04:05:20 PM »
  Dominic,
What ever you decide, please do not forget to change the charging profile on your inverter/charger. In the owners manuals for the coach components, find the one for the Xantrex. They will advise you what settings to adjust for various battery types.
    From a tech's point of view, I would go with the AGM maintenance free batteries for trouble free operation. Over the years I have found that batteries are the number one most neglected support system. Out of sight, out of mind!
    This does not apply to us "motor heads" because we love to play and love on our coaches. Hope this helps, Fred

Thanks, Fred. That was going to be my next question, after I chose which brand of AGMs to get-I have a Xantrex Trace Sinewave SW2512 inverter....i'll need to figure out how to change the battery type from lead acid to AGM...are you familiar with that one?
2005 Patriot