Author Topic: From Lead Acid to AGM Batteries-advice, please  (Read 7937 times)

Mike Shumack

Re: From Lead Acid to AGM Batteries-advice, please
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2020, 04:45:42 PM »
You change battery types in the setup menu on the remote unit. You enter the setup mode by holding the "up" and "down" keys (the Setup/Menu Items keys) for five seconds, then you toggle through the screens using the setting button till you get to the battery type. To save the new settings, press and hold the "setup/menu buttons" for five seconds until screen clears.

Do you have the manual for the RC-GS/RC7 remote?

The following users thanked this post: Dominic . Sue Ambrosino

Dominic . Sue Ambrosino

• BAC Member
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2020, 05:52:59 PM »
Thanks to all who offered input...We are still checking into the Vmaxx AGM's as Lifeline are backordered for several months.
I'll post what we end up going with when we purchase them. We still have some research to do: 1. how to program xantrex sw2512 trace inverter for AGM batteries  2. Changing dip switches on Solar Charge Controller and 3. Anything else we are not aware of!

I'd love to hear from anyone who has AGM's with the SW2512 Inverter
thanks again....
2005 Patriot

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2020, 09:20:18 PM »
Your solar system is probably not much different than ours.

It looks like all you have to do is move dip switch #3 down.
Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Dominic . Sue Ambrosino

Mike Shumack

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2020, 03:42:35 PM »

The Patriot came with an all electric option which is basically what I have done with my coach.

Battery Options from the 2007 schematics...Dwg 38010781.

I noticed in that attached chart (and other similar battery charts for 2008+ models, that the AGM batteries listed for the House side are all 12V.
Are the 12V AGM batteries "deep cycle". Does it matter with AGM?

My House batteries are (four) 6 volt. Should I consider switching to 12V AGM when the time comes (they appear to be easier to find), or just look harder for 6V AGM batteries?

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2020, 09:44:41 PM »
Mike, My house batteries are all Lifeline GPL-4DL (4) and they are 12V deep cycle. They are big and heavy, mine are still the originals that can with the coach.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2020, 11:46:40 PM »
I think that like wet cells, Mike, the amp/hour capacity of 6v AGM ones are quite a bit higher than 12v AGMs; in most I saw it was about a factor of twice the aH.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Mike Shumack

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2020, 01:56:07 PM »
Thanks.
I looked up the Lifeline GPL-4DL. The specs say they are approximately 8-3/4" wide and 21" long. My current 6V batteries are 7-1/4 x 10-1/4.
So one GPL-4DL would take the place of two of my 6V batteries, but I think the extra 1-1/2 width could be a problem (I would need 3" more with two of these batteries side-by-side). It would be a tight fit in my battery tray "if they will even fit". I didn't take any measurements yet, but from visual inspection, I don't think there is enough room.

Ron Johnson

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2020, 05:15:51 PM »
About 10 years ago I went to 6 AGM house batteries. In order to fit the extra 2 batts into the compartment I got rid of the battery tray. The end result is having all 8 batteries in same compartment .. No mess .. Not stressing the cables with the in/out .. 50 pounds of metal gone .. No maintenance .. Overall it has turned out to be a positive upgrade.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2020, 05:31:00 PM »
That would work with AGMs, since I would have no need to pull the batteries (tray) out to check and add water.

Dominic . Sue Ambrosino

• BAC Member
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2020, 05:34:33 PM »
You change battery types in the setup menu on the remote unit. You enter the setup mode by holding the "up" and "down" keys (the Setup/Menu Items keys) for five seconds, then you toggle through the screens using the setting button till you get to the battery type. To save the new settings, press and hold the "setup/menu buttons" for five seconds until screen clears.

Do you have the manual for the RC-GS/RC7 remote?

Thanks, Mike. Our remote is different, but i think we do have the manual for it.after research (and help from bac!) i believe i need to go into menu 10 to change the battery type.
2005 Patriot

Dominic . Sue Ambrosino

• BAC Member
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2020, 05:37:04 PM »
Your solar system is probably not much different than ours.

It looks like all you have to do is move dip switch #3 down.
Joel
yes, it looks like our solar panels are the same. we have dip switch #3 up now (for lead acid) and will move it down with the agms.
i can't recall what the power on the solar panels (from factory) are....do you know??? thanks for your help
2005 Patriot

Dominic . Sue Ambrosino

• BAC Member
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2020, 05:42:35 PM »
Thanks to everyone who took the time to help!
We just ordered 6 VMax Agm batteries from Bargainshore.com.
They were very helpful, had the best price ($277), no shipping, no tax and even gave us a 5% discount off the $277!!!!

Shipping tomorrow, should be here in 4-5 days.

Thanks for hand holding---(This is Sue, Dominic would never have asked so many questions!!!!!!!)
2005 Patriot