Author Topic: Side Window Removal  (Read 4077 times)

Bob McCORMACK

Side Window Removal
« on: July 05, 2011, 01:37:19 AM »
[size=14][/size]Looking for help on how to remove the street side window (behind driver) from my 1996 Patriot.   Appears to have a rubber gasket or retaining strip around the inside window frame.   No screws of any kind visible so I am guessing the rubber strip is what holds the window in place.    Any one have experience?

Thanks

Racer Bob

Joel Buchan

Re: Side Window Removal
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 01:04:02 PM »
Bob,
You will need to remove the rubber strip that covers the screws on the trim ring that surrounds the window. Just grab the rubber with needle nose pliers and pull to remove. Replacing the rubber trim is some what of a challenge. The screws are a #2 sq. drive.

Bob McCORMACK

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 05:12:53 AM »
[size=14][/size]Thanks, I figured the rubber would have to be remove one way or the other.

Keith Oliver

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 01:22:37 AM »
I just had one of my windows out, to get an estimate for fixing the snakes between the layers.  Under the rubber strip are #2 Robertson screws, every 4 or 5 inches.  Three of the screws are bigger than the rest, so you need to sort them as they come out.  Once the screws are out, there is nothing else holding the window in, so be sure there is someone outside to catch it.  Mine hung up on a thin bead of silicone someone had used across the top, to keep the water out.  Other than that, it was a very easy removal.  Then getting the glass out to make a template, required removal of a strip of steel that holds the aluminum frame together across the join, fastened with 4 small screws and lots of black rubbery caulk.  One more screw, in each end of the post that separates the panes, and it all falls apart.  So easy that when the new glass is ready, I plan to install it all myself.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 05:29:46 AM by 14 »