Author Topic: Convex mirror hanging  (Read 3004 times)

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
Convex mirror hanging
« on: August 23, 2020, 04:00:11 PM »
Driving north on  I -75  and looked to change lanes and notice that my convex left mirror was hanging by a thread. I pulled over took off the mirror and went on.
What is the best adhesive to use to attach the mirror back?
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
Re: Convex mirror hanging
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 05:46:16 PM »
Hi George, we experienced the same problem this last drive. I pulled over and duct taped it in place to keep from losing it. I’m thinking I’m going to try some gorilla glue and see how that works for a more permanent fix.
Good luck,
Larry Fisk
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 07:48:49 PM »
George
Did the mirror glass come off the plastic backing or did the plastic backer come off the control head.
If the glass came off the plastic silicone will secure it just fine
If the plastic backer has come off the remote gimbal you should be able to snap it back into the circled mount ( it does take a considerable push to get it to snap back in place. But if the round section on the back of the plastic retainer is broken then the only real fix is a replacement convex mirror which are about 65 bucks from Ramco .
Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Guy Pryor

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 03:39:31 AM »
I had the same problem two years ago and I cleaned the back of the mirror and used gorilla glue. And a clamp with light pressure holding it overnight and its holding strong to this day. I also found replacement glass on Amazon for $60.

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 06:25:02 PM »
Thanks all
The glass pealed off. I cleaned the glue off the plastic frame and purchased RTV Black silicon. Put a bead around, on the plastic, about 1/2 in from the edge and placed the glass on. Placed a sold peace of carbord over the mirror and tape across the the cardboard and mirror securing on the side of the remco frame. I will let it set for 24 hours and then remove the tape.
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum