Author Topic: Windshield wipers  (Read 4450 times)

Cloyd Robinson

Windshield wipers
« on: August 25, 2020, 10:29:25 PM »
I have been having trouble with the wipers on my 2006 Monterey. On occasion, everything works. On occasion, nothing works. Right now, the intermittent and the wash cycle are working. I popped off the horn "button" and checked things in there but found nothing of concern, I did manage to break the 3rd of the 4 nylon inserts  holding it in place, the first 2 succumbing prior to my purchase. So now I need a new horn thingy besides having wiper problems. The black duct tape works but not the greatest look. I'm hoping there is some experience out there with the wipers and where I might find a new horn activator button thingy?

Mike Shumack

Re: Windshield wipers
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 10:41:07 PM »
Do you have the SmartWheel (i.e. Cruise, Wipers, Lights flash on the steering wheel)?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 01:14:49 AM »
'06 Montys have VIP Smartwheels.  There is also a VIP control module in the electric bay (streetside forwardmost), right side low on the wall.  If the bay gets wet and/or fills with water, as mine has from windshield seal leaks years ago, that module can be in harms way.  You may have to contact Smartwheel for parts and advice, Cloyd.  But others here have had their Smartwheels apart for repairs, and may be of assistance.

https://www.vipwheels.com/technical-support

Joel
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 01:20:43 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 01:44:01 AM »
Cloyd,
Coach Assist has both the Smart Wheel Operators and Troubleshooting manuals.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Cloyd Robinson

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 07:25:50 PM »
Yes, I have the Smartwheel VIP. I will look into the manuals. Thanks so much for all the great ideas!

Cloyd Robinson

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 12:42:12 AM »
I have been playing with my wipers for some time now. I've learned a little, mostly how much I don't know. Smartwheel did set me up with a new center for my steering wheel so I don't have to duct tape it on. I have found their prices to be quite reasonable.
 I did the diagnostic tests and discovered that the left button pod that controls the cruise control works perfectly as does the cruise control going down the highway. However, the right pod that controls the wipers unsurprisingly shows problems. Instead of the LED blinking out red signals depending on which button is pushed, when any wiper button is pushed the green LED goes out and then comes back on. No red signal corresponding to the button pushed. I thought giving this info to VIP Smartwheel would help them zero in on the problem. They suggested replacing the wiring harness on top of the wheel which also replaces the cruise and wiper switch pods. It made no difference. I ran a new ground from the wiper motor to the frame. Nope. Then VIP suggested changing the control module in the electric bay. Nope. Kind of reminds me of when I was 19 diagnosing electrical issues on my 57 Chevy, sometimes keep replacing things until you find the problem. VIP says they will send me info to return the unnecessary parts, that would be nice. Now, they tell me that they are no longer going to have a troubleshooting service available, hope I had nothing to do with that decision. So. unless anyone has some more ideas, it looks like I will have to give this problem over to the pros. When I bought my Beaver about a year ago. I did notice that the housing around steering wheel column was loose and asked them to fix that. I am wondering if they were aware of the wiper problem and opened up the cover to check the clock spring things I've heard about. Any one have experience in that area? Thanks for reading my book.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 01:07:33 PM »
On some (all?) models there is a circuit board under the horn button pad that takes the button press and turns it into a multiplex signal. I would "guess" like VIP, that the board is bad (if your model Smartwheel has this).

I have not had my steering wheel off, so I cant confirm the 2005 models use this, but another Coach owner had to replace this board and posted this picture of it.

Did you come across this circuit board in your troubleshooting steps?

Cloyd Robinson

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 12:00:42 AM »
I have a switch pod to the right and left of the horn 'button". There are printed circuit boards inside those switch pods. The cruise control pod on the left works fine, the wiper pod on the right doesn't. I replaced both pods as they are both tied into the wiring harness I got from VIP.