Author Topic: Display Video Format for Aladdin and cameras  (Read 2217 times)

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
Display Video Format for Aladdin and cameras
« on: August 31, 2020, 03:04:56 AM »
I’m going to have to replace the Kenwood single DIN flipscreen that displays Aladdin and the three cameras.  Can anybody help me with video format requirements?  I know it is a standard video input cable but suspect that a specific format is required to display correctly.  I tried a different head unit some time ago and it would not render the video coming from Aladdin or cameras.

Finally, if you have a suggestion for a replacement head unit that would be appreciated as well.  I’m not concerned about the stereo sound quality as I don’t use it.  Mainly want a nice, bright and clear screen. Perhaps even larger than the original 7”.

Thanks
Rick V
2004 Beaver Marquis, Garnet (3 slides)
43'
C12

Mike Shumack

Re: Display Video Format for Aladdin and cameras
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 01:37:25 PM »
Here are the specs for the camera (video) signal.

One thing to consider is the automatic video switching to side cameras when you use the turn signals. If you care about this feature.
The OEM unit (Kenwood KVT-M700 or M707) in my era Coach, switches video display to the side cameras or backup camera when the turn signals are used or the transmission is put in reverse.
To have this function, you need a display unit that has a "backup camera feature" which will switch the display (from radio/stereo display to camera view) when a 12V power is applied to the backup camera input wire.

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 03:28:31 PM »
Good information.... thank you Mike!  I had (wrongly) assumed that the switching happened within the Aladdin system.  This is good information and will prevent me from purchasing something with limited functionality.

Rick V
43'
C12

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 04:35:54 PM »
   Greetings Rick,
Enclosed are some pics of the DDX-375 Kenwood I installed in my 2000 Marquis. It is a double "din" mount but I an not sure about your dash board configuration. It has all the inputs you need and the feature I like most is the blu-tooth so I can play my Spotify play lists in transit. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 04:36:07 PM »
The Aladdin does the switching between Right, Left, Interior, and Backup cameras, but the display unit also need to know when to switch from radio display to camera display.

Check out Crutchfield https://www.crutchfield.com/m_266150/Car-Stereos.html?tp=9  for narrowing down your selections. Do you want Bluetooth, Apple Play, GPS/Navigation, Touchscreen, etc. - or just a display monitor? There are a lot of decisions to be made. Good luck.
The following users thanked this post: Rick Vyncke

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 06:40:46 PM »
Thanks Fred!  Currently installed is a single-din Kenwood.  However, directly below that is a Kenwood DVD player (never been used) that I could also remove...

Was yours originally a single-din?  Did you have any issues in installing a double-din?  I am confident that there is room for a double... but not sure how it would be supported if I cut the opening larger.

Thanks again!
Rick V
43'
C12

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 08:32:04 PM »
   Rick,
A double din mount is 3 15/16" tall so I think it will fit. It also has the trigger wire to automatically turn on the camera in reverse or there is a switch on the face to manually push to watch your toad in transit. There are various versions of this radio so choose according to the whistles and bells you want. Hope this helps and have fun! Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 08:35:51 PM »
   Rick,
Here was the pics of the removal and installation, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 09:01:40 PM »
Thank you Fred!  Will look into doing the same.  Much appreciate the photos.
Rick V
43'
C12

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 12:46:56 AM »
Fred,

One final question.  Looks like you replaced the old Kenwood with a new Kenwood.  Any similarities in the wiring plugs?   Or did you have to reword?
Rick V
43'
C12

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 12:54:40 AM »
  Rick,
I replaced an Alpine with a Kenwood. The Alpine took a direct hit from a dripping marker light water leak and fried the controls. The Kenwood has Blu-tooth and a quality monitor for the toad. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV