Author Topic: Was there a Pure Sine Wave Inverter/Charger installed in the 2005 era Coaches?  (Read 2139 times)

Mike Shumack

My 2005 Coach has the Xantrex RV-2512 Inverter/charger. It is a modified-sine wave inverter.

I would like to go to "pure sine wave" as its better for my computer/electronics, but I don't want to have to run new comm cables or replace components that work fine (like the remote and gen start).

However, it does not look like any of the newer generation (2020) Xantrex Inverter/Chargers would work with my current (2005) Xantrex remote (RC/GS) or the Gen start feature. And going with one of the Magnum units would require a lot of modification.

So my question - was there a Xantrex "Pure Sine Wave" Inverter/charger available for the 2005-era coaches (maybe in Marquis or as an option)?

If there was, I may be able to find one of those units (used or old stock).
If there was one, what was the model number?

Thanks

Greg Ross

• BAC Member
Mike, I added a 1000 Watt Magnum Pure Sine Wave inverter just for our residential fridge
It was only the fridge but a circuit for receptacles would work ok.
2008 Contessa
C9 425HP

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Mike, I just swapped out my Xantrex MSW 2512 for a new Xantrex SW2012 PSW, new control panel, and separate AGS module. Not a big deal, no new wires to run (almost) but pulling the old off the ceiling and refitting new up against the ceiling was a bit of a chore. I bought a small tranny jack from HF https://www.harborfreight.com/450-lbs-Low-Lift-Transmission-Jack-61232.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMjI4NDE3MTIiLCJza3UiOiI2MTIzMiIsImlzIjoiOTMuNDkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0AIjoiMTAzMzEifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A&cid=paid_google|*PLA+-+Top+SKUs+-+All+%28Branded%29|Shop+Press|61232&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=*PLA+-+Top+SKUs+-+All+%28Branded%29&utm_content=Shop+Press&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhb36BRCfARIsAKcXh6FDzV5OKn5Vmzct6fgOMccV6P3OAHQ3PBbLVbv-OERwUKSedkJF3FgaApzQEALw_wcB

The only new wires I still need to run are a pair of 16ga from the front run bay to the AGS, so the AGS knows that the gen is running. There are two terminals in the FRB for this, no need to hook up to the gen. The mounting bolt holes in the new PSW don't line up with the existing bolts in the ceiling of the bay where the inverter mounts. I just took the old MSW and used the bolt holes as a pattern and drilled new holes in the mounting flange of the new PSW. All has been working great since the swap. PM me if you need any more info!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Mike Shumack

Thanks for the idea Greg.
I don't think my refrigerator cares about modified or pure sine wave. The Coach came with a residential fridge and a modified-sign wave Inverter, and I have had not had any issues with the fridge (although I don't boondock, so possibly just because there is so little time running on Inverter. But I do have modern TVs and electronics in the Coach now - so maybe your idea would be good for just powering those devices, if nothing else comes up.

Mike Shumack

Bill, you and I have the same Coaches, so if it worked for you it should work for me.

It sounds like you were able to use the old comm cable (telephone-like cable) from the inverter location to the remote location (which I assume is mounted over the entry door).  Did the new remote unit fit the old cutout and use the same cable?
Also regarding the wires you need to add for the generator auto start, where do those wires start and end? Do they start at the remote's location or the Inverter location?
Lastly where is the generator start module located (on the generator)? just trying to understand the amount of work your describing.
Thanks

______
Off topic - I got a message that a new post was made while I was typing my reply to Greg. Oddly, it asks if I want to review my new post before posting it. Review it for what? How do I know what the new post says without finishing and posting "my new post" in order to get back to the thread to read the other new post. Who comes up with this stuff?
Okay - end of rant.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
We replaced our Xantrex Trace PSW 2,500w inverter a few years ago in Tucson when its battery charging function went bad.  Since Xantrex did not manufacture a 2,500w replacement (I was told), we had a Xantrex Freedom PSW 3,000w installed.  The techs had to install a new remote above the co-pilot's seat, had to run a set of wires from the inverter to the generator for the AGS, had to install a new battery temp module, and installed something behind the fixed basement panel, curbside, next to the end of the waste tanks (I don't remember what that module is).  It was all paid for, less $500 deductible, by our extended warranty - about $3,600 less $500 was our cost and that included a new ice maker in the LRIM1200 fridge.  The firm, RVMD in Tucson, kept the old inverter.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 01:54:58 AM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
I bought this tranny jack from HF to do the heavy lifting, it made the job much easier than trying to bench press the thing up to the ceiling.

https://www.harborfreight.com/450-lbs-Low-Lift-Transmission-Jack-61232.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMjI4NDE3MTIiLCJza3UiOiI2MTIzMiIsImlzIjoiOTMuNDkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0AIjoiMTAzMzEifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A&cid=paid_google|*PLA+-+Top+SKUs+-+All+%28Branded%29|Shop+Press|61232&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=*PLA+-+Top+SKUs+-+All+%28Branded%29&utm_content=Shop+Press&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhb36BRCfARIsAKcXh6FnFxV4vmoMNP6GUs-C4aDjhUgREA0Upe3unV8LzQHul6H7lVNCIawaAgC4EALw_wcB

Xantrex has a little gizmo that you plug the comm cable into on both ends, then the gizmo plugs into the new remote, and inverter, The AGS is a separate module. I mounted it on the wall of the compartment just aft of where the inverter is. It uses the same wires that ran to the old inverter for run, stop (4 wires) but needs two more (12+ from gen hr meter and ground) these start at the terminal strip in the front run bay, and would run down the frame rail to the AGS. Just haven't got around to it yet. The two wires tell the AGS that, indeed, the generator is running.  The terminals are marked in the front run bay, I'll look for the label tomorrow. The new inverter remote panel is a bit larger than the original. I made a new panel out of some cherry I had left over from my fridge install, but I think you could cut the old panel and make the new one fit. I went with the 2000w inverter due to my coach has 3/0 wires. For the 3000w unit, I would need new 4/0 cables. I'm never gonna need more than 2000w anyway, so the smaller unit is a good fit for us. I moved the romex for the original refrig from the non-inverter panel to the inverter panel, all done at the A/C panels, So now the fridge is on the inverter, and I still have all the GFCI outlets that daisy chain from the basement compartment to many areas in the coach.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."