Author Topic: Plug into house dryer plug for 30 amp shore power  (Read 3833 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Plug into house dryer plug for 30 amp shore power
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2020, 09:08:33 AM »
“ Is there any reason to believe my dryer connection (except for pin configuration) is any different than an RV park 30A plug-in.“
Chris, obviously the power box in a park will have a dedicated ground.  Your 3-prong dryer setup does not. Since the pigtail includes a way to connect its 50amp female end’s ground directly to your house ground, I would expect that to protect you, assuming everything in the house distribution box connects to a common ground buss.  But I’m no electrician.  I’m not sure why you were left unclear on this after putting it to your electrician friend.  Run it by him again?

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2020, 03:50:26 PM »
     We all have a "friend" who knows something about electricity. Well intention friends are always willing to help us out and make suggestions to meet our needs. This is why have NEC (National electrical code) It is the standard by which all electrical stuff is established. Coaches above all need an established ground because they are sitting on rubber.
     One of my favorite conversations with a new RV owner with a 30 amp service went like this: He brings it back to me after owning it for 2 weeks and says "there is something wrong with the electrical in this coach" Nothing works any more after I plug it in at the campground. No air conditioner, tv's microwave, refrigerator, ect. This coach is junk. Doesn't the manufacturer and the Dealer check these coaches out before they sell them! I reply "of course we check them sir before we deliver them. I ask "did you plug your coach in at your house?" He says yes as a matter of fact I did. I ask "where did you plug the power cord into it". He proceeds to tell me how his neighbor advised him that his electric dryer in the garage has a plug similar to his RV power cord plug. I ask him "what did you say after he told you that" He said "can you help me make an extension cord so I can reach the motor home out in front of my house. Then I asked "what happened next". He states "we made the extension cord because it was easy and Home Depot had the plugs we needed. Early the next morning we plugged the coach in and then loaded it with our belongings and food at set out for our first adventure. When we got to the campground nothing worked. So here I am and what are you going to do about it! I reply "You better call your insurance company and ask them"
      Moral to this story is "don't do a Rube Goldberg modification to your Coach. Please comply with all appropriate electrical standards and your coach will provide great memories. Thanks, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2020, 04:38:13 PM »
Fred has it spot on. Plan and simple a dryer plug is wired 240 volt, your coach lives on 120 volt, if you feed it 240 volts just call your insurance company and explain to them what you did.
Don't mess with this, get a dedicated 120 volt 14-50 amp service installed and be done with it. I have seen electricians that did not know how to correctly wire a RV service outlet. A 50 amp RV service is two legs 120 volt, a ground and a neutral.
Do not connect it to your dryer plug end of story.
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2020, 05:44:52 PM »
Show this to your electrician. If he doesn't understand it, then find a different one. You are talking about burning up every thing electrical in your coach (the smoke is horrible) if this isn't wired correctly.

Even after he wires it, before you plug the RV in, connect a pigtail that gets you from 30A to 15-20A, and plug in a lamp. If the bulb explodes, he did it wrong.

Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2020, 06:15:03 PM »
Lee is correct there is a difference between your three prong dryer plug and a 3 prong RV plug to 3 prong dryer plug is a 240-volt circuit whereas the three prong RV plug is a hundred 120 volt circuit .
the two diagonal pins on the three prong RV plug are a black 120 volt wire and a white common wire, which is 0 volt the third pin is actually the ground .
on your dryer plug the three prongs are a red wire which is 120 volts phase 1 and the another is a red wire which is 120 volts phase 2which will give you  240 volts the third prong is again just a ground without the common wire you cannot get 120 volts out of the dryer plug with out cheating and this is where the problem lies as the cheats are not legal and would not be covered by your insurance if something went wrong.
Hope this helps explain
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks