Author Topic: What make/model Battery Disconnect is used on the 2005 PT?  (Read 2196 times)

Mike Shumack

What make/model Battery Disconnect is used on the 2005 PT?
« on: September 05, 2020, 05:51:51 PM »
I have a large voltage drop across the House battery disconnect switch. Almost a volt.

I found I can move the on/off knob slightly and reduce the voltage drop to 0. So the contacts are pitted or burnt.

Does anyone know what make model this switch is (I thought it was "Blue Sea") but they don't show this switch on their website. It may just be discontinued.
I'm not sure if the switch can be disassembled and cleaned - but if this switch is still available, I will just get one (then mess with the old switch). If I need to replace with something else, the terminals need to be in the same location. It would be a real project to try to reorient those short heavy cables. I can barely see the back side with a mirror.

Who makes this switch and what is the part number?  Could this be the replacement? https://www.bluesea.com/products/3000/HD-Series_Heavy_Duty_On-Off_Battery_Switch
Thanks

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: What make/model Battery Disconnect is used on the 2005 PT?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 05:59:23 PM »
Mike, I replaced that switch with a Blue Sea switch, same lug pattern, screw holes, etc. Much better switch. I got it at a local West Marine.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/6006/m-Series_Mini_On-Off_Battery_Switch_with__Knob_-_Red
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 06:36:01 PM »
Thanks Bill, that info really helps.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 07:42:20 PM »
I replaced the House side battery disconnect switch today. Just in time too it looks like.

The guts of the switch are separated from the switch body. It looks like the mounting bolts, and pressure from the battery cables pushing on the switch body were the only thing holding it together. All the internal screws that hold the contact plate to the switch housing were broken - as you can see in the photo. Also the nuts holding the battery cables to the 3/8" studs were loose (just a little tighter than finger-tight).

The new Blue Sea m-series switch (p/n 6006) is a perfect fit.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 12:21:07 AM »
Just like  you, Mike, my origional switch fell apart in my hands. Glad it was an easy fix this time!!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."