Author Topic: 1997 beaver monterey air bags not inflating..  (Read 2355 times)

Rick Penick

1997 beaver monterey air bags not inflating..
« on: September 15, 2020, 07:54:03 PM »
  I have air pressure up around 120 lbs but airbags not inflating. Could this be the govenor valve since this has been setting in storage for years. I bleed the air valves etc.

Thank you in advance
Rick

Gerald Farris

Re: 1997 beaver monterey air bags not inflating..
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 11:11:30 PM »
Rick,
If your compressor governor is defective, your air pressure would not be at 120 PSI. A defective governor will normally prevent the compressor from building air pressure above 30 or 40 PSI. The most likely cause of your problem is either ride height valves or linkage, but loosing all three valves at the same time is very rare, or rodent damage where air lines or wiring is chewed up. 

Gerald

Rick Penick

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 11:59:31 PM »
Gerald,

So i looked under the motorhome and looks like there is a newer black under the bags like they may have aired up. If i open the valves to release the air from the tank will the bags deflate? If not how can i deflate them and than watch to see if they inflate? Apparently the Monterey doesnt have a dump valve for the airbags. I am new to airbags and already experienced the death wobble going to get fuel 2 years ago scared the crap out of me so the mtr hm been setting for all this time. I want to get it home so i can work on some things but this airbag deal is very frustrating.

Thanks Rick

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 01:32:07 AM »
Rick,
I am very hesitant to start giving you instructions on how to service your air suspension since you obviously are not familiar with the system and it can be very dangerous if you do the wrong thing.

First, what kind of leveling system do you have? Second, what tools and equipment you you have, especially HD jack stands with at least a 6 ton rating or large hard wood blockingthat can support the coach?

Gerald

Rick Penick

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 06:02:57 PM »

update ...so the airbags are up and working. the compressor tank had a leak at the pressure relief valve seems ok now. as far as the coach goes two new 6 volt batteries installed and two new chassis group 31 die hard. so the problem is coach not starting turning the key. tried turning key and pushing the coach battery switch nothing happens. also the dash will have hazard lights blinking etc. when you turn the key or if you close the door and step retracts the hazard light blink than eventually go off.  tested the solenoid back by the engine had someone push the button to boost from chassis batteries no 12 v on the side going to the engine. tried button inside the back compartment nothing. so that is where i stand at this point if i jump the back solenoid engine starts...once running i still have check engine light but looking at monitor dont see anything serious that stands out
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 10:08:56 PM by Rick Penick »

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 07:15:39 PM »
Here's an air diagram for the 96 Monterey. I hope this is some help.

On this model, the air tank is a "split tank". It looks like a single tank but it is two separate tanks with a check valve inside. So the air (from compressor) goes into the wet tank first, then air pressure opens the internal check valve to fill the primary tank. If this internal check valve goes bad (usually sticks open) the whole air system can drain down through a primary side leak. If the check valve was to stick closed you would not be able to fill the air bags or release the spring brake. I don't know if the dash air pressure gauge reads off the wet tank or the primary tank. You can verify that both tanks have air pressure by opening the tank drain for each.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 07:28:54 PM by Mike Shumack »
The following users thanked this post: Larry Fritz

Rick Penick

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 10:10:13 PM »
update ...so the airbags are up and working. the compressor tank had a leak at the pressure relief valve seems ok now. as far as the coach goes two new 6 volt batteries installed and two new chassis group 31 die hard. so the problem is coach not starting turning the key. tried turning key and pushing the coach battery switch nothing happens. also the dash will have hazard lights blinking etc. when you turn the key or if you close the door and step retracts the hazard light blink than eventually go off.  tested the solenoid back by the engine had someone push the button to boost from chassis batteries no 12 v on the side going to the engine. tried button inside the back compartment nothing. so that is where i stand at this point if i jump the back solenoid engine starts...once running i still have check engine light but looking at monitor dont see anything serious that stands out

Rick Penick

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 10:16:30 PM »
thank you for the diagrams that is good info . i was able to release pressure from both valves than shut them both off after. so bags seem to be holding air no problem unless something else happens i am not aware of. i think i will replace the pressure relief valve. if anyone knows where i can get one.  Roy Mueller was a big help to me very nice man. he said he was getting a new hip and i am sure i wore him out but i want to thank him for his help.

Thanks again
Rick