Author Topic: Switch Modules  (Read 3169 times)

bob mackie

Switch Modules
« on: September 16, 2020, 03:57:20 AM »
Looking for a discontinued/out of production switch module.  It's part of the Kongsberg chassis control module of the 2008-2009 vintage.

Our coach is a 2009 Beaver Marquis.
The switch module is on the left side entrance bank.
The Switch part no is 16623945 and controls the porch light/  handle step lights / step.

I have exhausted the sources I know of - Rev, Visone, Colaw, Arizona RV Salvage

Would anyone know where to get this part and/or anyone that can repair it?

Thanks in advance for any help, Bob...

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Switch Modules
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 05:21:32 AM »
Did you try NW RV Supply?   https://www.nwrvsupply.com/contact.htm

Also, Ty at Beaver Coach Sales collects parts off Beavers as he can find them.  You might check with them.
https://www.beavercoachsales.com/request-parts-rvs-dealership--xparts_request

You didn’t say what exactly was wrong with the module, but it looks okay cosmetically.  If a switch isn’t working, disassembling the module for access may reveal a possible repair that might be more plausible than trying to find an entire module replacement.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 06:30:28 AM »
If you have a bad switch in the module you might be able to find it here https://www.traction.com/en/electrical/electrical-control-switches/switch/c/hvpditemtype_331614
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 08:03:07 AM »
If an individual switch needs replacing, it’s probably a Carling Technologies sealed type.  If you search “Carling Technologies rocker switches” you can find many models on Amazon and elsewhere.  https://www.carlingtech.com/on-off-highway

Joel

Also as an option (though not as stylish or clean looking), if it would fit the space, and it comes with switch ID/icon stickers:  https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07TJQ7738?pd_rd_i=B07TJQ7738&pd_rd_w=fUpws&pf_rd_p=56de1c4d-9b3c-4b14-97fa-b11585f6c2d6&pd_rd_wg=pNce0&pf_rd_r=NRH8Z295Q3C5P6DXB6ET&pd_rd_r=c191f61f-f06b-4aa1-a07b-05e1596ff263

If that link won’t work, paste this into Amazon:  Nilight 90017C 3 Gang Aluminum Panel Toggle Dash 5 Pin On/Off Pre-Wired Rocker Switch Holder for Automotive
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 08:33:37 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

bob mackie

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 01:44:07 PM »
Thank you for all the suggestions.

This switch module is not a normal contact on/off switch.
It is controlled and connected via a processor in the drivers running bay.
Based on the switch position it sends a signal back/communicates to the processor that then controls the device assigned to the switch.
This system was made by Kongsberg and Monaco used this system for just a couple of years before bankruptcy in 2009.
These are actually Eaton switches and need to be programmed to work.

By process of elimination and using other good switch modules I have determined this switch is dead/bad.
In addition, it does have a lit status light on the back (not recognizing power/communication).

I think I am the lucky one that has a rare and proprietary control system.

I am thinking for these three functions not working (porch light, step lights and step extension) to go old school and hard wire these functions.
But, I'm not sure how to integrate old school switches into these devices as they are connected to other systems.  Such as the porch light comes on and off with the door and I would like that to continue.  I guess I could go with three way switches but not for sure how to get a three way switch on the door side.

I've attached a picture of the back of the switch module and the Eaton sell sheet.
These switches are master/slave and daisy chained in the coach.  I think I have 9 of these switch modules with all working except this one (porch/step lights/step).
If a switch module goes out, then the others downstream / daisy chained will also go out.

I need to find a dealer/tech that could help debug or find this switch module in a salvaged Monaco coach (Monaco/Holiday Rambler/Beaver).

I am also open for any other help or suggestions.

Thanks again so much for suggestions and any help.

Bob...

bob mackie

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 01:45:28 PM »
I missed the Eaton summary sheet on my last post.  I've added it to this post.  Thx, Bob...

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 02:08:39 PM »
   Bob, As I recall the training seminar when Monaco went to this system in late 2007, they said there is 3 or 4 of these master modules and then all the dash switches are daisy chained to them to complete the multiplex system. If you change any of the "master" modules you are still going to need someone with the software and laptop to interface with the main fuse panel. There is no way I know off to get around a multiplex system and make it analog. Have you contacted Monaco for direction? Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 09:15:57 PM »
Thanks for enlightening us, Bob.  You were already way ahead of me in your analysis efforts. I did not know of that type of multiplex;  it’s a bit different than the Intellitec multiplex on mine.

Further research leads me to think you may find assistance at either REV Group in Coburg, here in Oregon, or M & M Electronics in Ohio.  Apparently Kongsberg and Monaco had a falling out during the bankruptcy transitions, and Kongsberg wasn’t helpful towards owners with problems.  These two companies (REV is Monaco’s current parent company of course) have endeavored to tear down and re-engineer and improve Kongsberg’s design.

https://www.revgroup.com/rev-group-specialty-vehicle-services-department

https://www.mmrvelectronics.com/

I hope one or both can solve your issue.  Let us know.

Joel
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 09:50:56 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 02:08:08 AM »
Bob,

You’ve probably already gone this route, but there is a lot of information on the IRV2 forum and some on the Monacoers forum (more on the defunct Monacoers Yahoo group). Search for “Kongsberg”, “Chassis MUX” or “Chassis CCM”. Some of the information is fairly recent. If allowed, I can post a couple of links or PM them to you.

Apparently, the standards for programming the CCM modules was inconsistent and even if you can find a used expansion module it may require programming to make it work with your coach.

From what I have read, Rev in Coburg Oregon does still work on the Kongsberg systems. The name Jason (might be Jason Gurke) at the Oregon facility has been mentioned several times as the ‘go to’ guy for the Kongsberg CCM system. Unfortunately, I don’t think that you can call the Coburg facility direct anymore, I have tried and have always been connect to a call center in Indiana and sometimes they have been less than cooperative.

Also, I’ve read a few posts that indicate that Kongsberg will sell the CADET software that would allow a person to configure the system. I don’t know how intuitive that software is and apparently a manual is not provided…just a thought.
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 02:36:16 AM »
   Scott,
 Thanks for the update. As I recall I only used the laptop and software 3 times in 18 months working on Monaco Signatures. You are right, there is nothing intuitive about the format and interface. I always ended up calling Kongsberg in Canada and had a technician walk me thru it. This guy you mention at Rev in Oregon may have some answers. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

bob mackie

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 04:02:20 AM »
Thanks for the info.  This has been a really hard learning curve.  I have learned so much but still feel so helpless.
More info:
We have owned the coach since new in 2009 and LOVE the coach.  It's got it's warts but that's the RV world.
We had one switch module go out last year and the dealer was able to get it going.
Now this year, 2 more switch modules went out.  One Rev had in stock and I purchased and plugged it in and it worked.  Great :)
But, Rev is out of the switch module I posted about in the first post.
So, I have been learning everything I can for a workaround.
I like everything to work on all the stuff I own.
This switch group is not the end of the world but I'm more about learning how the system works in case another much more important switch group goes out.

Early on I got confused about multiplex.  But, quickly figured out there are two multiplex systems that most reference - The Intellitec Multiplex (which is for more house side lighting and functions) and the Chassis Control Multiplex (which drives the chassis type functions).
I have talked to Chris at M and M and he was very nice and gave me some pointers.  He does not work on Chassis Control Modules but is really good with Intellitec multiplex.

I live in Tennessee and trying to make the trip to Coburg the last resort (but I will do it if I have too).  I still work so I don't have the best availability of time.
I did talk to an ex-Monaco factory mechanic that now has his own shop - Armstrong Rv in Eugene and he was super nice and gave me a history lesson.
He mentioned Jason is the best person available to work on the Kongsberg CCM.
I was leaving Jason as my last resort along with a trip to Coburg.  Plus I'm not for sure how to get to Jason but I guess I start with the service phone number.

I do have one more dealer that I know has the Cadet software.  I'm thinking about asking them if this would work - Buy another switch module from Rev and reprogram it to the functions I need (Porch light, step lights and step extension).  I can decal over the switch names.

I found there is a software code called CAN J1939 and I'm pretty sure that's the code Kongsberg used for this CCM.  CAN stands for Chassis Area Network. 
They wrapped it all up into an application called CADET.
And I found the programmable switches are made by Eaton as posted above.

I can see where an OEM would go this route of programming switches, developing a processor to handle the network traffic, build in relays, reduce wiring, reduce weight and add functionality.
That's all good until something does not work and all the proprietary knowledge and extra parts are gone.  I just hope the large circuit board in the driver electrical bay never goes out.  That's the brains and that would be rather fatal.  That would be such a shame.  What I am working on is just the switches.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.  I have not got into the defunct Monacoers Yahoo group, but will now.  I have worn out IRV2.

I will keep updates coming as developments happen.
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 01:58:44 PM »
   Thanks Bob,
 Your journey will prove to be very important to all who own that generation of Beavers. Please keep us in the loop as you move forward because this is the heartbeat of the chassis controls.
   It is really important that folks who have these coaches keep them out of the hands of novice technicians who do not understand this multiplex system! All it takes is a tech using a "powered" test light sending 12 volts down a multiplex information pathway wire to Zap a processor. Hope you have a happy ending and thanks again for all your input. Blessings & Joy, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV