Author Topic: Power Gear leveling jack almost won't retrack  (Read 1985 times)

Frederick Thornton

Power Gear leveling jack almost won't retrack
« on: September 18, 2020, 10:43:18 PM »
Hi, I have a 2007 Beaver Contessa Bayshore with Power Gear leveling jacks, one in front and two in rear. My current problem is with the right rear jack. It is very slow to retract. In the past, I have pushed the "Retract all Jacks" button multiple times and the jack eventually retract. This morning, right rear only retracted half way and appeared to be stuck. I manually put it back down, sprayed some silicone lub on it, wiped it off, then coaxed it up by tapping with a hammer as my wife pressed the "Retract all Jacks" button for about 10 seconds multiple times. It finally retracted. The left side rear is also slow to come up, but never stops like the right...

The jack piston is smooth and clean. Could the problem be with the control valve?

Should I use a different lubricant on it?

All info and suggestions will be appreciated!

BTW, not sure if this is related to the rear jack problem, but the front jack retract spring broke in March 2020 and I had to get a new jack built by HWH to replace it.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Power Gear leveling jack almost won't retrack
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 11:06:58 PM »
Fredrick
The problem you are having is most likely the jack itself .
This used to be a common problem the jacks are constructed with a nylon bushing which the jack post or ram extend through the problem arises when the jacks outter tube gets a bit of rust between the nylon bushing and the tube with swells and pinches the shaft making the retract more difficult .
The system only uses the spring pressure to retract the rams when you push the retract button the system opens a dump valve returning the oil in the ram back to the reservoir the speed it retracts at is a function of the dump valve office and the spring pressure.
I have always used WD40 to lube the rams because most lines will attract dirt and the dirt will activate the problem.
Try extending and washing out the ram seal area the best you can.
According to HWH this problem is usually worst in colder weather and the only real fix is a new or rebuild ram.
Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Frederick Thornton

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 12:44:14 AM »
Thanks Eric! Your response helps because I will quit worrying about the control valves and try spraying wd-40 on the shafts.

Frederick Thornton

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 07:04:58 PM »
I sprayed the jacks with wd-40, wiped them down good the night before we left. Then I did this again in the morning, and the jacks all retracted with no issue!