Author Topic: Electrical Problem and Maintenance Solution  (Read 1599 times)

Keith Phillips

• BAC Member
Electrical Problem and Maintenance Solution
« on: September 19, 2020, 01:05:56 AM »
I thought I would put this on the forum for informational purposes, may prevent a problem down the road. I had an electrical problem this week, I lost power to my inverter. I checked the 30 amp circuit breaker and it wasn’t tripped, but I reset it anyway, still no power. I had shore power and everything that isn’t on the inverter was working. I removed the cover on the main electrical panel in the bedroom and checked voltages with my multimeter thinking the breaker was bad and I was not getting voltage through the breaker. When I turned the breaker off and back on again I got voltage and as the load increased I heard a sizzling noise and saw sparks were the breaker snaps onto the aluminum bus bar. I shut off the power, tested to be sure and removed the breaker. It looks like over the 28 years of use that corrosion or heating and cooling of the connection had caused carbon or something to form and interfered with the connection. The clips on the breaker were discolored so I lightly filed the aluminum bus bar and installed a new circuit breaker. I checked the rest of the breakers and all were good. That is the only 30 amp breaker on the main part of the panel the rest are 15 and 20 amp. I think I came real close to having an electrical fire and thankfully just lost power and found the problem. Maybe with some of these “classic” Beavers this should be checked by an electrician every 10 or 15 years.
Keith & Anna Mae Phillips
1992 Beaver Marquis 325 hp 3176 Cat (Jan 2017-Apr 2023)
1991 Beaver Baronet  250 hp 3116 Cat (Feb 2014-Jan 2017)
USCG CWO4 Ret.
Graham WA
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, David T. Richelderfer

Jason Worman

Re: Electrical Problem and Maintenance Solution
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 02:20:08 AM »
Keith

Thanks, will have my panel system checked on our 1991 Contessa. Right now I'm fighting a leak on the front co-pilot window.

Jason Worman