Author Topic: Manually close slides  (Read 3022 times)

Mark Bodenhamer

Manually close slides
« on: September 26, 2020, 09:20:17 PM »
RVA hydraulic system is not working right now (fried).  Manually retracted the leveling jacks.  How do I get the slides in so I can take this thing to a shop? Oh yeah, we're in Custer SD and there are NO mobile service people available to help.  We're on our own.

Mike Shumack

Re: Manually close slides
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 09:43:08 PM »
Don't you have a separate system for the Room Slides?  My Coach (2005) uses the RVA for the leveling jacks, and the HWH system for the Slides.

On both systems (RVA and HWH) there is a relief valve on the solenoids that you open, then you (and everyone at the campsite) manually push in the Slides.

Here is a photo of the relief valve for the HWH system:

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 10:10:48 PM »
I can’t personally vouch for this outfit, but suspect that they are as close as any: 

https://www.b2byellowpages.com/company-information/103759242-jims-mobile-rv-trailer-service.html

This one’s closer, but apparently taking a sabbatical:  https://philsrv.com/

This page from my manual may be helpful.

Joel
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 10:22:21 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Mark Bodenhamer

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 10:47:16 PM »
I truly appreciate all the input.  I've got the owners manual and it's really not doing much good (check out the pix). I'm going to have to wait till Monday and see if BCS can be of any assistance.

I've called them all, most have the VM full and are not taking any new work. 

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 02:30:43 AM »
I don’t know if the guy is still there, but when we were at Beaver Lake RV just out of Custer to the west a few years ago, the owner/manager, a tall slim fellow named Max, was super helpful when our awning wouldn’t operate so we could exit a spot reserved later that day by someone else.  He helped get the unit in, found us another spot in spite of being pretty booked up, then took me to his shop and spent hours helping engineer temporary repairs.  He’s one of those seemingly “ornery” (but actually friendly) old-line mechanical types that can fix anything and will be your best buddy once you understand each other and he knows your not totally incompetent.

If you’re lucky enough to be in that park, and he’s still there, I’d ask his help.  I know this is long-shot but I had to put it out there, just in case.

Joel
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 02:41:19 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 04:32:23 AM »
Did you get to watch the Bison Roundup?
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Mark Bodenhamer

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 04:27:20 PM »
No to both, Joel. We're not that lucky.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 09:45:36 PM »
Mark, I saw and responded to your post on this on the irv2 forum.
I can't understand how the RVA pump could also be used for the room slides - as you said there are only three T-hands (pressure reliefs). That means there are only "three hydraulic circuits" (which is expected for a three jack system).

Perhaps one of the Beaver experts on this site can confirm if Beaver made a Coach that used the same RVA pump to operate the leveling jacks and the room slides. I have not found any info in the RVA manuals or any wiring diagrams that would suggest this (but there are no diagrams for a 2003 here).

Could you have just disabled the Room Slide system when you had the issue with your RVA jacks? Did you pull or blow a fuse when the RVA system smoked? Maybe you accidently disabled the power for the Room Slides too.

How many Slides do you have? Are they all hydraulic or do you have electric slides too (in the bedroom?).

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 10:06:00 PM »
Our two living room slides are hydraulically operated, as are the three hydraulically operated leveling jacks (leveling in both manual and automatic modes).  I believe the slides and jacks work from a single hydraulic motor and pump.  Our one bedroom slide is operated by an electric motor.

The hydraulic pump and oil reservoir are located behind the door's retractable step... towards the center of the coach between the step and and front slideout generator.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 10:12:59 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Mike Shumack

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2020, 11:23:50 PM »
I would think your 2004 would be very similar to my 2005 (they use the same chassis). The hydraulic pumps on my Coach are located on the outside of the frame near the Coach entry door, but there are two pumps there - an RVA and a HWH.

If you have one pump for both the levelers and the slides, does the pump have a "set of solenoids" (an Extend and a Retract) for each jack and a set for for each Slide Room. I think there would need to be three sets of solenoids for the 3 jacks and three sets for the 3 Slide Rooms. So 6 sets total, maybe 8 sets if your generator has a hyd slideout too. Does this sound correct?

Here is a photo of my setup.
Can you post a photo of yours? How many solenoids are on your RVA pump?

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 11:03:45 AM »
I have it from a reliable source that RVA was bought out by Brazel's in Centralia Wa.
Brazelsrv.com
Parts may be available there.
By the way ours has an HWH pump and a seperate Power Gear system.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 11:11:23 AM by Keith Moffett »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Mark Bodenhamer

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 02:19:27 AM »
Fortunately it appears that it's just the relay.  I ordered one from RVA and it should be here tomorrow.  I really appreciate help.  I'll post an update when it's for sure.

Mark Bodenhamer

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 12:06:02 AM »
100% the relay.  I'd swear that it even works better now.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 02:13:06 PM »
if you get a chance, can you post a photo of your RVA pump setup?

I would like to see the solenoid configuration they use.

I have not yet seen (and can't find any info) on how the "RVA setup" is configured when it is operating the leveling jacks and the room slides. 

How many (hydraulic) "slides" does your Coach have?

Just curious and want to learn more about this. Glad you got fixed and it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Mark Bodenhamer

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2020, 08:01:46 PM »
It's kinda complete pain to get a good picture of it.  Any ?'s just ask. Two hydraulic slides.

Edit: remove a common word that was redacted - add the quantity of hydraulic slides.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 08:11:04 PM by Mark Bodenhamer »