Author Topic: Entry door sticks...BADLY  (Read 1960 times)

Curtis Showvaker

Entry door sticks...BADLY
« on: September 27, 2020, 04:37:50 PM »
Hello!
I am a new member, and this is my first post, so my apologies if I mess it up a bit.

We have a 2008 beaver Contessa Pacifica, and we have an issue with the entry door that has me baffled. If our rig is sitting slightly out of level, sometimes the door sticks so badly that we are practically locked inside or outside. Sometimes when I attempt to close the door, it behaves as if something is binding the hinge. Additionally, the door is difficult to open even when the rig is level, because the handle is hard to pull. Also, there is a pretty severe rattle inside the door when we close it. Anybody have an idea how I can correct this?

Thanks!

Mike Shumack

Re: Entry door sticks...BADLY
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 05:33:40 PM »
Check the striker posts (two) and make sure they are free to move around. They should be able to "slide" up-down some which counteracts the movement/twist of the body.

In your case something may have come loose inside the door if you hear a rattle. You may need to remove the cover and inspect. If you hold the door open and manually close the latches (rotate them to full closed), will the latches unlock with a gentle pull of the outside (or inside) door handle? The upper and lower latches should unlock about the same time (and not require the door handle to be pulled further).

I had an issue with my door where it would take a strong tug to get it open. I thought must be due to an adjustment issue and I sent a bunch of time disassembling the door and making adjustments only to later find that it was the screen door latch that was hanging. I removed the screen door completely while figuring out this problem - which led me to the solution.
When the outside door and the screen door are "locked together" the screen door latch is supposed to be held open but in my case it was still catching on the door frame when closed. The plastic latch in the photo can be adjusted by loosing the screws and sliding it forward or back. I had to buy a new latch as mine was just too worn.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 05:40:51 PM by Mike Shumack »

Curtis Showvaker

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 08:06:59 PM »
I checked the striker pins and they were immovable. There was a flat washer visible on the outside, and when I moved it to the inside I was able to tighten the pins and still leave them able to rotate up and down. A few adjustments and some WD40 and the door seems to work fine! The test will come when we move to a place where we sit unevenly.

Thanks Mike!

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 09:38:02 PM »
It is possible to tighten the striker posts to the point where they will not move (so be careful not to over tighten) - you just have to leave them loose enough so they can move.
Glad you got it fixed. Good luck.