Author Topic: Transmission over-temp issue  (Read 3943 times)

Mike Shumack

Re: Transmission over-temp issue
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2020, 02:41:39 PM »
The fluid was contaminated with engine coolant.

What to take away from all this ... the transmission fluid looked absolutely clean when I looked at it at the first repair shop and the fluid was not tested there. So, if your coach is an older unit, next time you check the transmission fluid HAVE IT TESTED FOR CONTAMINATES! 0.2% is a very small amount. !

Sorry to hear of your troubles. At least you have it figured out now.

Testing the transmission oil every year is a good idea (I do that now just to let me know when to change the fluid). But if the test comes back showing signs of coolant in the oil, its already too late and a rebuild is needed (according to Allison).

I wonder if there is an oil-to-air cooler (rather than the oil-to-coolant cooler used now) that would work.

At least with an oil-to-air there is no chance of getting coolant in the transmission (and a leaking cooler will show up as an oil leak on the ground). I guess it depends on how much surface area the cooler would require, and how much space is available to mount that type of cooler.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2020, 03:22:43 PM »
I did a quick search for Allison 4000 tranny coolers; most were water to oil, but this air to oil cooler for Gillig busses looks interesting.

https://www.snodepotusa.com/shopping/productDetails.aspx?i=1158603&c=12576
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2020, 03:25:02 PM »
Oops, all water to oil coolers here, will keep looking......
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2020, 11:17:18 PM »
Mike
My 1997  patriot yorktown has an oil to air trans cooler never thought about it much I had it off this summer to access and clean the rad it certainly looks to be a factory install it is approximately 18 inches by 36 inches.and about 3 inches thick .
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.