Author Topic: Slide Wires Getting Thrashed  (Read 2328 times)

Mark Bodenhamer

Slide Wires Getting Thrashed
« on: October 03, 2020, 11:56:11 PM »
On the driver side slide there's a sausage of wires that get shredded when using the slide.  I try to pull it away when the slide is closing, but I really don't want to loose a hand.  Someone recommended https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07QJ6Y2MF/?coliid=I2TEE43QL3774Q&colid=352SW1PZX5JX3&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it, but I'm not quite sure the best way to attach it.  I see two options, self taping screws or drill a hole through the box and use a bolt and nut.  Open to suggestions.  How did Beaver keep it out of the way of the rail originally?  Oh, and I did already reattached that loose ground wire.
The following users thanked this post: Eric Maclean

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Slide Wires Getting Thrashed
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 03:34:24 PM »
Mark
Remember that the wiring harness has to flex to allow the slide to travel all the way in or out.
I think I would try to install a split loom over the harness a use a bungee cord to take up the slack and direct the harness out of harm's way when the slide was being retracted
Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Mark Bodenhamer

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 02:05:35 PM »
I’m surprised nobody knows where/how it’s designed to go. Anyone? Thanks for looking.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 10:02:36 PM »
Mark-
It’s not that no one wants to help.  It’s probably just that your particular coach is rare enough that few other members have one.  And not all members spend time on the Forum, further reducing the odds.  If my Monterey had a similar slide setup, I’d try to supply you with at least a photo for guidance.  For example, your image seems to show waste tanks behind the slide, but on our 36’ model the tank’s are behind the stationary water bay.

A bungee to control the loom may indeed be one temporary option, but they deteriorate and can’t be the final fix.  Many here would help engineer something if you could get to a rally and they could directly examine the situation.  Of course a Monaco Service Center is an option, and if you’re able to get to Bend, Beaver Coach Service or Bend RV Repair would know how to correct the configuration.

Joel

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Mark Bodenhamer

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 11:38:44 PM »
I kinda figured I have a unicorn, thanks for the awakening, Joel. Those boxes are just the storage cubbies, the waste tanks are behind the water bay. I’ll get it figured out somehow. Thanks again.

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 11:46:26 PM »
Mark, if your fix looks reasonable, it probably is. The Mr. Fixit RV Repair would probably do the same thing, learning on your dime. As the wires are supposed to clear the slide and no obvious channel exits to route them then your fix to clamp them out of the way is probably correct. After 4 owners I can testify that almost anything can happen in the course of ownership.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 03:16:51 AM »
I looked at the closest brochure we have, a 2004 Monterey, and it’s not that different than our 2006, so it’s hard to conceptualize those “cubby’s” in that specific location.  My apologies for any dimness in understanding the layout.  I continue to hope another owner will step up for you here with at least a photo of the original loom configuration.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

William Harmon

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 04:59:17 PM »
Mark, On my 2003 Contessa, I used a Zip or cable tie attaching the bundle of wires to the brace on the cargo bay.  This setup allows the bundle of wires to slip under the slide guide without touching the bundle of wires.  I have used this setup at least 20 times without any new damage.  Hope this works for you.

Bryant Harmon
                         2003 Contessa
                         370 hp Cummings
                         3 Slides