Author Topic: Heat build-up in engine runbox  (Read 4449 times)

Richard Dangel

Re: Heat build-up in engine runbox
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2020, 02:59:40 AM »
Guys, I really appreciate all your efforts on my behalf. I will locate the serial number tomorrow. It could be two completely different problems.

1. Lots of heat in my runbox cooking solenoids and circuit boards
2. The derating of the engine when I ask for max power.
I thought they were only one problem, because when I opened up the runbox it would start up and run. Maybe not full hp but at least not 2mph. Cat in Boise worked on it last and said all was ok. NOT. Cat in Henderson, Nv replaced the spark plug (?) for the burner and said all was ok. NOT. Cat in Tennessee got me running after a 25 mile tow and told me every thing was ok. NOT. I received huge bills only to have reoccurrences. Very frustrating.
I dont expect to see a fuel problem. New filters and fuel pump tested by Cat in Boise. They also adjusted my valves and replaced 2 part Lifters? with the new style one piece units. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 05:51:11 AM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »

Mike Shumack

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2020, 05:11:36 PM »
They also adjusted my valves and replaced 2 part Lifters? with the new style one piece units. Thanks again.

What are these "one piece" lifters?
I know there was an updated bolt design for the VVA housings.
The following users thanked this post: Eric Maclean

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2020, 11:15:11 PM »
Richard
Looking at your last post it would appear that the mechanics are chasing a diesel particulate filter regen failure causing DPF slot load to increase until the system set a derate code and limits operation.
More specifically I would think that they are trying to cure a failure to ignite code for the ARD / burner this would be why they replaced the spark plug the problem is that there are many variables that can contribute to a failure to ignite or a flame out code such as DPF pressure differential too high or available boost pressure too low , fuel pressure at the burner too low and or a bad ARD head .
This requires a good tech with Cat ET software and a good understanding of the ARD and regen system diagnostics .
If you can your best bet is to give all the past and present diagnostics codes to Dave and see if he can walk you through the proper diagnostics and at least give you something to go by at the next Cat service shop.
Without being able to connect Cat ET to the vehicle and read the parameters to observe the different components in the system while trying to regen it is nearly impossible to get an accurate diagnoses and the parts we are talking about are too expensive to just start go throwing parts at it .
Again Dave is likely your best bet here even better if he's close enough to you to get a look at it for you
Hope some of this helps
Eric
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 03:04:33 PM by Eric Maclean »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Richard Dangel

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2020, 12:27:29 AM »
I would like to apologize to everyone for my not perfect posts. I am not very computer savvy and my DW did not notice what I had done. C-15 Ser. No. is SPD08542. I used the wrong terminology and called they VVA solenoids lifters. I really don't know what they are but I've been updated with the new 2 piece ones. I think I read somewhere in another post that Dave Atherton has a repair business. Is it against forum rules to ask for the name and phone number? This country is only 3000 miles across and I hope we could hobble to wherever his business is located. I totaled up my repair orders at 8,000 dollars and still don't have any faith in this engine.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2020, 02:31:45 AM »
Richard,
We don't want to post member phone #s on a public board. Best way to contact Dave is to look up his phone# in the Member Directory on the BAC website https://www.beaveramb.org/ or send him an email or private message, both of which you can do from the Forum if you are logged in. Just look up his name under Members / Search  (next to Log Out on same row as Home).
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp