Author Topic: Adjustable Brake and Throttle Pedals  (Read 3195 times)

Peter Whiting

• BAC Member
    • Seattle Yachts
Adjustable Brake and Throttle Pedals
« on: October 23, 2020, 10:29:12 PM »
Our 2008 Contessa has adjustable brake and throttle pedals.  Since purchasing the coach, I have found that even with the pedals all the way back, the throttle pedal is quite far away and I have to stretch to reach it.  I am 5' 11" and don't have particularly short legs.  I crawled under the dash and found that both pedals are moved by what appears to be individual acme screws that turn to move each pedal in and out.  With the brake pedal all the way out on the cylinder, the throttle pedal appears it could come out another 2" but is stopped because the brake pedal has reached the limit of travel.  Is there an adjustment that can be made?
2008 Beaver Contessa Pacifica 40

Peter Whiting

• BAC Member
    • Seattle Yachts
Re: Adjustable Brake and Throttle Pedals
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 05:21:37 PM »
I have attached a picture that shows the brake and throttle adjustment out of sync.  It would seem to me there must be a way to re-index the throttle idler to the acme screw so the brake and throttle pedals are in sync.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 06:12:57 PM by Peter Whiting »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 08:22:47 PM »
Peter,
They apparently are  adjustable. Checked mine and they are both extended about 2.25" .
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Peter Whiting

Peter Whiting

• BAC Member
    • Seattle Yachts
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 08:25:35 PM »
Thanks Steve.......I am just trying to figure out how they adjust.  I can't find anything online other than they were probably manufactured by KONGSBERG POWER PRODUCTS SYSTEMS.  There was a recall to fix an issue that could interfere with the brakes working properly but I can't find any more information as to whether our coach was affected.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 08:56:53 PM »
Peter,
Pretty sure it is a Teleflex. http://www.2040-parts.com/teleflex-312097-accelerator-pedal-adjustable-powered-throttle-monaco-da-i1442223/

Kongsberg supplied the hall effect switches.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Peter Whiting

• BAC Member
    • Seattle Yachts
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 09:29:52 PM »
Thanks Steve......There does not seem to be much information on the internet.  Teleflex is still in business but does not seem to manufacture these parts any longer. 

Mike Shumack

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 10:52:10 PM »
There are two individual "pedal adjustment" mechanisms/motors controlled by the same rocker switch so they move in and out together.
If the pedals are misaligned - perhaps assembled that way -just unplug the electrical connector for one pedal device then use the switch to run the "other" pedal in or out until both are aligned (or however you want them to relate to each other), then plug the connector back in and they should stay aligned (unless something inside the pedal mechanism is slipping).

Mike Shumack

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 11:12:54 PM »
I am updating this thread in case anyone with a similar problem reads it. My solution above is wrong.

I thought the adjustable pedals had separate motors when I looked the other day.
But I got under my dash today and took a better look, and it turns out there is one motor for both pedal mechanisms, and the mechanisms are linked by a cable (I assume like a speedometer cable, but stronger) so when the motor turns one pedal adjuster the other adjuster also turns/moves via the cable connection.

I don't know how to remove the cable or isolate the pedal mechanism. If I find any info on how to service this mechanism, I will post it here.
Sorry for the bad advice in the other post.

Peter Whiting

• BAC Member
    • Seattle Yachts
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 12:38:48 AM »
Thanks Mike.....we are working the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show.  Once finished, I will dig into this.  I did find the cable that connects the two mechanisms.  There seems to be a spring loaded connection that I am fearful of disconnecting, should I render the brake or throttle inoperable.

I will investigate further...........

Cloyd Robinson

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2020, 07:43:37 PM »
I have the adjustable pedals in my 2006 Monterey. I can’t find the actuator switch. This system is not mentioned that I can find in my coach manual. I’ve been called blind before, kind of feeling like that now. Can someone clue me in where the switch might be located?

Mike Shumack

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2020, 08:07:52 PM »
Cloyd,
I just skimmed through the 2006 Monterey Owners Manual - and it does mention the adjustable pedals, Just doesn't say where the switch is located.

I don't know if this will help you, but on my Coach (Patriot Thunder), the switch is on the driver's left switch panel below the transmission shift pad and Aladdin joystick.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2020, 09:14:52 PM »
Our pedal adjustment is a rocker switch located about where Mike's is... left of the driver's seat on the horizontal console where the tranny keypad, Aladdin switch, rearview mirrors 3-way switch, left and right visor adjustment switches, etc., are found.  The switch is labeled "Pedal Adjust".
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Cloyd Robinson

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2020, 11:34:18 PM »
Thanks Mike and David! I will run out and check. That seems to be a logical place but I swear I would have seen it there. I have about 3000 miles on my coach and thought I knew every switch over there. Maybe I am blind, I do my best to deny it.