Author Topic: Winterizing  (Read 2881 times)

Janes Hobbs

Winterizing
« on: October 23, 2020, 11:49:18 PM »
Hello,
This is my first DP, and add in an Aquahot system, now I need some advice. First I live in Western Washington state, just outside of Seattle. We rarely freeze here, but it can happen sometimes. My class C, I would use my air compressor with about 45lbs of pressure and blow out the system. I put some RV antifreeze in the traps and tanks, and I never had any issues.

My manual says I can do that with my 04 Patriot Thunder, but it doesn't say if that clears the Aquahot system. I don't seem to have a full manual on my Aquahot, just a "quick" style guide. It doesn't tell me anything about winter prep.

Can one of you guru's out there please give me a little helpful advice?
Thank you!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Winterizing
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 12:14:01 AM »
   James, what model Aqua-Hot do you have? Is it a AHE-600 or 675?, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 12:26:49 AM »
    James, To find the manuals that are on file for members only do the following:
  1- log back into the forum
  2- scroll down towards the bottom and click on "members only"
  3- click on link to "coach assist technical library"
  4- at top of page, click on technical
  5- click on coach assist and scroll down to "heat and a/c systems
  6- find your model Aqua-hot

Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Janes Hobbs

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 12:28:19 AM »
Thank you Fred!
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 06:43:49 AM »
To augment Fred's comments, you should know that although blowing out lines may be adequate for other rigs, coaches with hydronics should have antifreeze added.  Water that may not be completely removed can coalesce in a unit’s coil and still freeze, resulting in enormously expensive damage.  The risk is generally held here to not be worth it. 

I too, James, came here from a furnace and hot water heater, gasoline propelled format.  I continued my blowout routine for awhile, but morphed to the security of antifreeze after reading enough experienced commentary.  Prevention is a whole lot cheaper than the cure when it comes to AquaHots.

Also, if you have a clothes washer, add antifreeze to its tub and run a spin cycle.  If you have a fridge with an ice maker, consider manually cycling it while under air pressure to get water out of the solenoid in back of the fridge.  Further info about winterizing these two accessories can be found online, or we can further advise as needed.

Joel
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 06:50:49 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 09:27:39 AM »
James
We are in western Wa. as well and there is a freeze alert for this Sunday.  Check your weather ap.
An option to the antifreeze for us has been a heater in the basement .  We use the Aqua Hot electric to warm the basement but it isnt enough for freezing at evening and all night too.  The heater is set low so it comes on if the basement cools.
I dont like using the antifreeze but this year is supposed to be a bad one so I likely will  because without it if the power goes out over night I am in trouble.
We are in Port Angeles.  Good luck
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Bob Reeves

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 01:44:49 PM »
As I live in Northern Colo. winterization is a must.  I have used the Air Pressure blow out but have become nervous after talking to Aqua Hot about that procedure. Amazing what you can learn by reading the manual.  My 07 Patriot Thunder has a plumbing arrangement so that you can use the water pump to suck RV anti-freeze throughout the system.  pretty easy to do.  Special attention does need to be made to washers and refrigerator Ice machines.  Last winter I did not get all of the water out of the Refrigerator Ice maker Solenoid.  Froze & split.  new one cost $95. was Using Air.  This year am using RV Anti freeze.
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder
45 ft  Cat C-13 525 HP
2019 Chevy Traverse
DW  Betty Jo.

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 11:11:08 PM »
If it rarely freezes then you probably don’t need to winterize. I never winterize and it gets into the teens here regularly and sometimes zero. I watch the weather and turn on the aqua hot to about 45 degrees when it dips below freezing. I also use an infrared heater inside to help cut down on using diesel. Why do I not winterize??? Because we travel a lot during the winter months and don’t want to go through that process multiple times.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired