Author Topic: Basement Door Adjustment  (Read 1757 times)

Mark Bodenhamer

Basement Door Adjustment
« on: October 24, 2020, 03:55:50 PM »
One of the basement doors has shifted uncomfortably close to its sibling and it's flaking the paint off of each other.  I found this thread from awhile ago, it mentions blocks and I wanna make sure I'm on the right track.  I'm assuming the steps will go something like:

Remove the struts.
Dig out the black block things. (Anyone know what the proper name of these are? I'll probably need to get more from BCS just don't know what to ask for)
Figure out the angle of the door need to be in order for it to slide to it's proper place.
Figure out how the blocks go into the hinge and tighten the new block things.
Reattach the struts.
Hope it's all good.

If anyone has done this and has some advice, I'm all ears.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Basement Door Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 04:26:34 PM »
    Mark,
Open the baggage door and look up at the hinge area. You will see in the center a gap in the extrusion where the block or centering guide is located or supposed to be. (open other compartment doors that are ok to compare) If the block is missing or worn, it allows the door to migrate forward or aft as it pivots within the belt molding extrusion. Beaver sales should have the parts. Sometimes as the door struts age, one becomes weaker than the other thus allowing for un-equal upward force on the door. Also it is a good time to blow some compressed air to clean out then spray with a "dry" lubricant or water based silecone spray. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley