Author Topic: cracked air line  (Read 5969 times)

Keith Oliver

cracked air line
« on: May 24, 2011, 01:28:39 AM »
Still a Newby, so if I have missed some previously posted information on this subject, I apologize.

My wife, who has much better hearing than I, asked what that sound of air leaking was from.  I got under the coach and found that the small air line that leads to the air spigot for the rear portion of the coach was leaking.  It looks like it touched down on something, too gently to do any damage to anything else, but enough to leave some marks on the collar and crack the line just as it enters the collar.

That explains why that air spigot did nothing.  Now I need to get a repair or replacement.  that also explains the erratic pressure readings, and why the pressure never goes much above 90 psi, the close out over the steps operates sporadically, I can't get enough pressure to add air to the tires, etc.

The line appears to be 1/8in, and the leak is just where the line enters the fitting that is screwed onto the bottom of the tank.  When removed, the end of the line looks like it is a custom flare or something unlike any fittings I have seen before, so forgive my difficulty describing it.

I have done a few on line searches, but so far have come up with nothing similar.  Does anyone know what those fittings are called, and where I might find a replacement line with end fittings?

Gerald Farris

Re: cracked air line
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 03:39:46 AM »
Keith,
I do not know were you are located now, but if you are located in the lower 48, the needed air fittings are available at most large Napa auto supply stores that supply the trucking industry.

Most of the air lines used on Beavers are slip fittings were you slide the collar back on the fitting and the line will slide out of the fitting. If the one that you are having a problem is different and you can not find a replacement were you are located, since it is just the bleeder line from the bottom of the tank just remove the fitting and install a plug until you can locate the fitting that you need.

Gerald  

Keith Oliver

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 03:56:30 AM »
Gerald:
thanks for your reply.  What I need most is your familiarity with these sort of things.  I have not seen any like this before so I don't know what I would ask for at an auto parts store.  I will try tomorrow, calling them "slip fittings" and see what they come up with.  I have seen hydraulic lines of 1/4 to 1/2 in dia with a flared end, for which I own a flaring tool, but these are much smaller than the smallest flare tool I have.  I will ask for the tool too.
The bottom of the tank has a tee, and this lone comes into the tee from somewhere up in the engine compartment.  The other side of the tee comes up to the air spigot and the air chuck.  I doubt I can simply block this one, as the leak is after it leaves the tank and is probably on something important.  Sorry I misled you in the original post, I was trying to keep it simple.  
My local Auto parts store (B&J Parts, Port Coquitlam BC) was pretty good on other issues, so I will expect them to be equally good on this issue. If they can't help without more information I can take the short line from the Air spigot and get them to match it.

Keith Oliver

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 04:27:02 PM »
Gerald was  ( as he usually is) right on.  The local Auto parts counter was able to find me the right sized brass fittings.  Very inexpensive, so no reason not to carry some spares.