Author Topic: Xantrex Temp Sensor - Potential Hazard  (Read 3177 times)

Bill Borden

• BAC Member
Xantrex Temp Sensor - Potential Hazard
« on: November 24, 2020, 02:21:15 AM »
In my search for knowledge about the Charging systems & Inverter.  I had been especially interested in how to test the TSC Cable, Xantrex said the TSC cable can not be tested. 

I came across this YouTube video that may be of interest.

https://youtu.be/iBIa-tYTOxA

The Xantrex manual shows connecting the Temp Sensor (TSC) to the Positive terminal of the House Batteries.  This Video goes into why you should NOT do this.  This problem may occur with other Inverters as well.

Also, I have confirmed this information with Xantrex.

I thought it may interest you.

Safe Travels.
Regards,

Bill Borden
2000 Patriot Thunder
C-12 425 hp 
Cool, California
The following users thanked this post: Neal E Weinmann

Neal E Weinmann

• BAC Member
Re: Xantrex Temp Sensor - Potential Hazard
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 02:29:30 PM »
Thanks for posting this. Very interesting and informative video. 

Gerald - Has this issue ever been covered on the BAC board?
2005 Monterey Bayview IV
CAT C9 400HP
2018 Ford Edge Titanium

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 02:56:13 PM »
I would like to know how to test the Battery Temp sensor device to know that it is working. Some have said it's best to just unplug it and not use it - as a bad sensor can cause harm to the batteries.

The first post says the Temp Sensor can not be tested - if I understood that posting. But I don't understand (or agree) why that would be true.

Why not measure the resistance (Ohms) reading between the sensor wires at the plug end?   I would expect the resistance (Ohm reading) to be the same for both the post mount and stick-on styles. Could we not take a measurement at some ambient air/battery temp - and compare with each other's readings. At a minimum that would tell you if the sensor/cable is "open" circuited.

Also, on the Xantrex 2512RV I can pull up "Battery Temperature" in counts (but I'm not sure what "counts" number I should be seeing). You hold the "meter mode" button for 5 seconds, then scroll through the readings to get to this view.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 03:02:42 PM by Mike Shumack »

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 03:07:49 PM »
Call Xantrex customer service, they are very helpful. Report back with any news

800-670-0707
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Bill Borden

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 07:22:36 PM »
Mike,

My question to Xantrex was the same as your comment.  The answer I received from the tech line was no it can not be tested. 

What did that statement mean, I thought it was one to direct me to their service dealers.  I will check the TSC at the inverter connection and let you know what I find.

I have a new sensor that has not been used that I installed, I will compare resistance readings to the old cable and report back.
Regards,

Bill Borden
2000 Patriot Thunder
C-12 425 hp 
Cool, California

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 09:13:44 PM »
I replaced my factory (2512?) Xantrex modified sine wave inverter with a new Xantrex SW 2012 pure sine wave inverter when I replaced my Norcold fridge with a residential fridge. The new inverter came with a new temp sensor, but I can't crawl under the coach to run the new wire back to the inverter from the batteries. So I called Xantrex customer service to see if I could splice the new temp sensor onto the original phone wire connection that went to the old inverter. Tech said no, do not splice into the cable. Didn't explain why, but he did say the temp sensor 'doesn't do a lot' so its ok if you don't hook it up. I do know its purpose is to slightly reduce charge voltage when battery temp is somewhere in excess of 90f, but I can't recall the exact figure. I do not think the temp sensor or circuit provides any 'protection' from an overheated battery; i.e. if your battery is gonna explode due to an internal short or something, the temp sensor is not designed to save the day. So I haven't connected the new sensor to my new inverter, all seems to work ok.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 10:53:37 PM »
Bill,

That video was very informative, thanks for posting.

The battery temp sensor on our Patriot is connected to one of the battery’s negative post. It’s a large, soldered lug and certainly could be mistaken as conductor. I think that I’m going to disconnect it from then battery and mount it in the battery compartment.

Our invertor/charger is a Magnum, the battery temp reads in Celsius. I have noticed that it will regulate the charge as the battery temp changes.
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 01:23:13 AM »
The Magnum installation manual says to hook sensor to negative battery terminal. IMHO, it makes more sense to hook to negative post, than the positive post. The negative post has no current to back feed to damage inverter. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 05:24:17 PM by Frank Bergamo »
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.