Author Topic: HWH Slide Chain Replacement  (Read 3540 times)

Bob Bulot

HWH Slide Chain Replacement
« on: January 13, 2021, 09:17:05 PM »
Just got finished replacing the dreaded roller chain on the front of the HWH passenger slide.

As has been reported several times, it was not a fun job. 

The replacement chain had a curve built into it that made it impossible to install without modifications. This is the hardest part to understand. It almost seems like HWH bought or made a bunch of chains that were not built correctly and are now getting them out of their inventory by selling them to us. There is nothing in their technical support website that would explain why they are selling a chain that could not be installed as manufactured

The access hole to the bolt connecting the chain to the X member had to be enlarge before a 7/16” socket could be connected to it.  How did this get past the design team?

The bottom of the chain is connected to the hydraulic ram with two pins secured by c clips.  This assembly is tucked back into a small space which makes installation of the tiny clips extremely difficult. It took nearly two hours and countless failed attempts to attach the clips.

Just Venting.

Mike Shumack

Re: HWH Slide Chain Replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 09:58:52 PM »
I also replaced the chains on my HWH X-slide, and ran into the same problems. At least HWH was consistent with the manufacturing of their design.

I was told by HWH the curve to the (new) chain is normal and when a chain sits flat it is because it is stretched/worn out. That sounds like a reasonable explanation - but trying to get the chain installed when it doesn't lay flat makes it much more difficult.

We'll have to compare scars some day.

Bob Bulot

Re: HWH Slide Chain Replacement
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 10:26:52 PM »
I am a little suspicious of that explanation, myself.  I carefully checked the old chain, and although it lays flat, it appears tight and shows  no signs of wear.  I am convinced that there would be no way to attach the curved chain to the X arm with the chain passed through the guide.  Just sayin’😏