Author Topic: Let's talk about toads!  (Read 12172 times)

Hal Grimshaw

• BAC Member
Re: Let's talk about toads!
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2020, 01:05:31 AM »
the chevy blazer from a few years ago was just swith a couple of times in the trans mode and away you go.  lock the ingition, wheel, doors, etc and it works great. 

I also like the air brakes for the toad.  reduces the need for a lot of adjusting.

also the light bar we bought at the hemet intl rally is a snap. No wires to get tangled or cut.

takes 6 or 8 minutes once you get the toad in position
2007 Patriot Thunder
C13

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2020, 03:41:04 PM »
I tow a 2009 Chey HHR .with it you simply turn the key on to unlock the steering placed the automatic transmission in neutral and remove a fuse with I replaced with a switch which makes it easy .
I use a Road master base plate and coach mounted tow bar as well a Demco air force one tow brake system .
It all works well a d you'd never know the car is back there so I also have a Roadmaster brake monitor installed and a second rear facing camera looking down over the tow car which gives me a great view combined with the backup camera for those pesky tailgaters.lol
The HHR makes a great grocery getter and with it's co pilot seat folded down it will take several eight foot two by four in side

Hope this helps Eric
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 04:52:58 PM by Eric Maclean »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2020, 05:14:40 PM »
   Eric,
What are you doing with 2 by 4's while on vacation? LOL
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Frederick Thornton

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2020, 09:03:27 PM »
I tow a 2016 Mini Cooper Countryman. But... Mini's can only be towed 4 wheels down if they have a manual transmission. And BMW does not warranty a Mini if it is towed (I hear). Since I bought mine used after the warranty ran out, it's not a problem. I have a Blue Ox tow bar and baseplate. I have battery charging through the light connection. I have an RVI Brake, which provides braking. In most states, only an emergency breakaway brake is required if towed vehicle is under 3000 pounds, but I like to have the brake in there anyway. It is easy to hook up, which I do by myself.

The Countryman is the largest Mini. The S model is turbocharged and pretty peppy! I enjoy driving it around town, and since it weighs less than 3000 pounds, it is easy to tow! The downsides are: (1) there is not a lot of baggage space, (2) it is like a sports car, a little rough and noisy, and (3) it is pretty crowded with 4 full sized people in it. And if you don't like to shift, it won't work for you!

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2020, 11:56:22 PM »
Fred
I'm retired now and I don't know where I found the time to work in the first place. Lol
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2020, 11:09:06 PM »
We’ve been towning a Chevy Colorado 4WD for the last year.  Installed the M&G Air brake which was a pain but it’s a super easy at hook up.  Just plug in the air line.  The Colorado is under 5000 pounds and I don’t even notice it behind the Beaver.  Only drawback is you have to disconnect the battery. 

Lloyd Church

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2020, 08:54:18 AM »
The late model Ford Explorers are very towable. I tow a 2018 Explorer 4x4 behind my 95 Marquis. You do have to have a battery disconnect and stop every 6 hours and run the engine for a few minutes to lube the trans but neither of those are issues for me. I seldom drive more than 6 hours and the disconnect is just a button push. The explorer is a great vehicle. I had "Coach Masters" in Bend Oregon install the tow bar and all the needed wiring etc. and they did a great job. If you are ever in the central Oregon area and need something done, I highly recommend them. 

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2020, 10:26:04 PM »
Unfortunately the latest Explorers aren’t towable.  Escape, Edge, F-150, and Lincoln Nautilus are good Ford options.  See the upcoming FMCA Magazine issue for the 2021 towable options.  You should have received an email from FMCA today with a link to the online version. 

Of course, use due diligence in your final choice... not all versions of a model have the right drivetrain for towing.  Consult its manual and dealer before buying.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Roy Boles

• BAC Member
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2021, 05:08:01 AM »
   Love towing our Jeep Wrangler, so simple to work with. Take a look at the 2011 or newer unlimited. I like the Sahara models.
'98 Marquis Diamante
C-12/Allison 4000

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2021, 06:05:33 PM »
Might be worth waiting for this one. Flat towable, according to the mfg. Pick up and SUV on the way.

https://www.caranddriver.com/rivian
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Robin Goffrier

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2021, 02:12:24 AM »
We tow a 2016 Jeep Wrangler 4 door. Bought it new now has 78K miles plus another 10K being towed.  Not had one issue.  No steering lock so just put transfer case in neutral, tranny in park ,  remove key and go.  We have found that every national park visited has 4 wheel drive only roads, usually down in the bottom of canyons and the Jeep has taken us to some great scenery and locations.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2021, 04:24:50 AM »
The FMCA website maintains copies of the annual towable vehicles lists going back several years.   If you are logged in to the FMCA, this link should work:  https://www.fmca.com/towing-guides-towing-four-wheels-down/

We towed an '04 manual shift Subaru Forester for 60k miles and a '07 Ford Edge for another 60.  The Subaru was my favorite.  We now have a towable Ford Fusion but not hooked up the towing equipment.

The page looks like this: