Author Topic: Inverter woes  (Read 8761 times)

Bob Disney

• BAC Member
Re: Inverter woes
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2020, 02:29:47 AM »
We purchased the coach the first of March. We have used it quite a bit. I just replaced the TVs, the satellite dish and the tuner
 I haven't really missed the 110 when parked but would really appreciate when boon docking.
The inverter has not operated at 110 volts since we have owned it.
Where its parked now it is too close to the wall to access the inverter and there is a big snow drift right outside of the door.
2005 Monterey Ventura IV
(the Beave)
just fits in the 40' shed
400hp C9 Cat
Towing various old Jeeps

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2020, 02:53:55 AM »
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2020, 03:56:57 AM »
There might not be a lot of difference but it's more likely you have the Xantrex RS2000 inverter which was standard in my 2005 Monterey. This manual is available on the BAC Coach Assist under 'Inverter Manuals'
Good luck and all the best in 2021... 🎉
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9
The following users thanked this post: Bob Disney

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2020, 08:15:23 AM »
Not sure this applies to all inverter set ups, but my Marquis has an additional breaker box in the service bay, close to the inverter, which manages the inverter 110 circuits.  It’s worth a check.  Mine is a small breaker panel attached to the ceiling of the service bay,  with 2 double breakers (4 circuits). 

Bob Disney

• BAC Member
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2020, 04:38:09 PM »
RS200 seems right
Ive been through it a lot of time and it gives no explanation of my problem
I'm hoping there is a breaker that I have overlooked in the service bay as stated earlier in this thread.
Ill be looking for that
Fortunately I can live in the coach as is as we are about to take off for a while
Just hate to run the generator to watch TV
2005 Monterey Ventura IV
(the Beave)
400hp C9 Cat
Towing various old Jeeps

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2020, 06:03:57 PM »
The 2005 Monterrey owners manual (here on Coach Assist) says you have an RS2000 inverter with an SCP remote panel, and a separate AGS module located in the front run bay. I would start at pg 314 in the manual and check all set up parameters on the SCP, and the AGS. Take another look at the inverter itself to see if the 'inverter enable' button is active. From the wiring diagram (also in Coach Assist) I don't see any breakers other than those in the bathroom panel. When checking any breaker, make sure to first turn the breaker off, then on, as this will reset a tripped breaker. Between the owners manual, the wiring diagram and the Xantrex RS2000 manuals (and SCP and AGS as well) you should be able to find the issue.
Enjoy the warm weather at your destination!
Happy new year!
525 hp C13

Bob Disney

• BAC Member
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2021, 05:17:54 PM »
Are there techs available at Quartzite that could diagnose and repair my inverter?
My friend who has been there a few times said there are people there but didn't really elaborate.
Id sure like to get this operational, and wouldn't mind adding a solar panel or two, but not necessary.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
This is such a nice coach its a shame to have anything/everything not working to its potential.
Bob
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 09:08:32 PM by Bob Disney »
2005 Monterey Ventura IV
(the Beave)
400hp C9 Cat
Towing various old Jeeps

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2021, 07:14:58 PM »
Bob,
There is only 1 breaker (CB-8) on the Main AC breaker box that supplies AC to the inverter. Since you said that everything works when on shore & geni power, CB-8 is OK and the inverter transfer switch is working correctly (see Fig 1-1 in inverter op manual). It also indicates that the transfer switch in the inverter is OK since AC to the majority of the coach outlets is supplied via the inverter regardless of the AC source (see sheets 20-21 of the 2005 Monterey wiring diagrams in Coach Assist). So that indicates the inverter is not inverting for some reason. The most obvious reason would be a lack of DC voltage as that is the source that inverter relies on to generate AC. Have you verified that you have 12V at the input to the inverter?  It comes from the house batteries via a large (200A?) fuse that is solely for the inverter so if it was blown, you wouldn’t see any change except no inverted AC  (see sheet 44 in wiring diagrams). Also, make sure you have the inverter in Operating Mode.

There will be some inverter repair shops in Q. I’d check with the Beavers at the rally for recommendations.
Steve
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 07:26:01 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bob Disney

• BAC Member
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2021, 09:04:29 PM »
I'll look into the the fuse. That would be great if it was that simple
The display screen on the remote panel states that I have plenty of voltage well over 13volts.
I'll have to figure out where the fuse is as i haven't seen it yet, I thought I had looked everywhere but I guess not.
The Inverter states its enabled in the basement and on the display above the door.
I appreciate the help, Thanks
2005 Monterey Ventura IV
(the Beave)
400hp C9 Cat
Towing various old Jeeps

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2021, 09:47:34 PM »
The fuse is good if you are seeing voltage at your remote panel (above door).  You checked that the inverter enable button is in the 'on' position at the inverter. Now you need to take your rs2012 manual in hand and check each parameter using the control (remote) panel above the door.  I think you should have an 'inverter on' green LED on the remote panel, check for that.
525 hp C13

Bob Disney

• BAC Member
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2021, 10:29:45 PM »
Yes all the indicators are green when I shut down the 50 amp service
the reset on the invert is only a little red button
I am concerned about one thing
I am not in safe mode, but I cant seem to pull that up on the display
I also assume that if I was in safe mode the green lights would not be on and I would not be able to be in enable mode 
Does this make sense?
2005 Monterey Ventura IV
(the Beave)
400hp C9 Cat
Towing various old Jeeps

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2021, 10:45:29 PM »
That's where the manual comes in. I thought safe mode was used when you connect / disconnect remote or AGS panels from the Xantrex 'network. Your Beaver Monterrey manual has a section on the inverter as well.

If there was a problem with the inverter, my thought is you would get an error msg on the panel above the door (remote or SCP panel)
525 hp C13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2021, 11:26:44 PM »
I’ve always taken it that we were lucky when we got our new ‘06 Ventura IV, given my pitiful knowledge of diesel coaches in 2006.  It had a CAT instead of a Cummins that seemed to have issues at the time, was just prior to the conversion to diesel particulate exhaust systems, was right when sulfur content was minimized in fuel, and was right after the Beaver/Monaco move from Xantrex to Magnum inverters.  Xantrex models were having problems, but the company eventually resurrected its reputation. 

If the manual resource that Steve references doesn’t lead to an answer, the Xantrex company may be of assistance if you contact them with your symptoms.  You could still have one of the original unresolved-issue models that they can help with.  And as Steve says, ultimate help should be in Quartzite.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2021, 11:49:34 PM »
If the inverter is in SAFE mode, all outputs are disabled. It needs to be in OPERATE mode to function normally. Curious, why are you trying to get it in to SAFE mode??
Assuming you have 12v at the inverter, you either have a set up issue as noted by Bill or a faulty inverter. If you haven't yet, suggest you select Restore Defaults at the control panel (See pg 3-29 of the RS2000 manual). This will/should eliminate any concerns about a faulty program setup as it restores factory parameters. If still no joy, inverter is probably toast.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bob Disney

• BAC Member
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2021, 12:19:02 AM »
I wasn't looking to put in safe mode, but I expected the ability to.
I had thought cycling through safe mode may possibly reset something.
I have all the literature that came with the coach and have been through it many times.
I have done as directed as far as holding the manual in one hand as running through the set up.
The darn thing just doesn't wanna play along.
Was the 200 amp fuse that was mentioned earlier the Bar fuse that is in the compartment above the batteries?
If not where else would it be?
2005 Monterey Ventura IV
(the Beave)
400hp C9 Cat
Towing various old Jeeps