Author Topic: Inverter woes  (Read 8792 times)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Inverter woes
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2021, 12:53:07 AM »
Bob,
The fuse is in the rear run box near the batteries. The diagram I references shows a dwg of the area. However, suggest you check for battery voltage coming into the inverter. Meter between the heavy gauge (3awg) black and red wires. That will validate the path back to the batteries is OK.
Have you reset the inverter back to Default settings as suggested?
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bob Disney

• BAC Member
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2021, 03:05:37 AM »
I have reset the inverter back to default settings a couple of times.
What should I be reading at my house batteries, how many volts?
The info I have seen shows 12.7 volts is optimum?
 I suppose anything lower should be replaced ?
I can fix about anything I can see, electrics is a little bit,  intangible for me
2005 Monterey Ventura IV
(the Beave)
just fits in the 40' shed
400hp C9 Cat
Towing various old Jeeps

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2021, 04:50:10 AM »
12.7 is fully charged. Above 12v the inverter should be functional.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Bob Disney

Bob Disney

• BAC Member
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2021, 08:03:25 PM »
If I require new batteries I would be getting the standard acid filled flooded batteries not AGM or Lithium or any of the other high end models
Is there any advantage to 6volt over the 12 volt as long as they are deep cell marine or golf cart batteries?
I understand that wiring them in require a different approach as far as in in tandem or in series as I would only want 12 volt
What I have now is all 6volt deep cell
2005 Monterey Ventura IV
(the Beave)
400hp C9 Cat
Towing various old Jeeps

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2021, 08:22:00 PM »
I would stick with a like-for-like replacement (6v for 6v) as the cost of making/buying new interconnecting cables for a 12v set up will easily offset any perceived benefit of 12v batteries.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Bob Disney

• BAC Member
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2021, 09:00:35 PM »
I just kicked on the salamander heater and checked voltage on the existing batteries and the result was a result was  12.71
There is a little sulfation on a couple posts so as soon as the shed warms a little I'll clean that off.
I think it may be a good time to equalize the batteries, its been awhile since last done
2005 Monterey Ventura IV
(the Beave)
400hp C9 Cat
Towing various old Jeeps

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2021, 11:37:57 PM »
Bob, 6v deep cycles carry more amp-hour capacity than 12v ones, so stick with 6v.  Costco’s Interstate ones are about as readily available and good a deal as you’ll find.  I was gonna go that route, but am tired of dealing with the metal corrosion around the battery tray and the melted strap-down buckles.  As the batteries age they demand more charging and that makes more gassing of acidic, corrosive condensate.   

After entertaining and researching a lithium notion for months, I’m switching house bats to AGM’s.  Fullriver is well reviewed, but are Chinese built and I’m trying to minimize such purchases where I can.  I’ll likely settle for the good rated US Battery brand, made here I believe by Johnson Controls.  I don’t mind adding water to wet cells, and my original Interstates lasted 12 years with no obvious performance issue, but the corrosion has been a pain for too long.  New wet cells wouldn’t be so bad for awhile, but eventually I’d be back to the same ol’ same ol’.

At 12.7v your current batteries seem fine if they’re holding it well.  Be aware that at 12v they are half discharged, many coach devices don’t work there, and you don’t want to hang around there long;  keep things charged.  13.4v float charge is topped up.  And it probably goes without saying to use only distilled water in your wet cells.  Check that your inverter doesn’t automatically run an equalization charge regularly.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bob Disney

• BAC Member
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2021, 01:35:25 AM »
Joel,
Where do recommend I set the AGS? Presently I have it set at 11.9.
Do you think that is to low?
2005 Monterey Ventura IV
(the Beave)
400hp C9 Cat
Towing various old Jeeps

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2021, 02:13:13 AM »
That’s too low, Bob.  Remember you’re at least half discharged at 12v.  I know it’s a “deep cycle”, but the battery’s life is affected if it’s discharged that far very often, and many onboard devices don’t get optimum current at 12v.  In contrast, Lithium batteries can handle 80% or more discharge and hold maximum performance. 

I quit trying to set my AGS around year two, esp. after a BCS tech couldn’t get it right either.  Too confusing.  You think everything is set right and the genset starts when it shouldn’t or misbehaves other ways.  If you do manage to get it working you need it no lower than 12v.  Others here that actually have no issues programming theirs or how it works may input advice.  But for me, it’s not difficult to start the genset manually as needed, esp. since I watch battery status like a hawk anyway.  On the road we’re rarely far from the coach for extended periods, so the AGS isn’t that important to us.  Others that for instance dry camp in hot weather and keep pets in the rig, might want the AC to start if they’re out exploring.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bob Disney

• BAC Member
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2021, 07:34:28 PM »
Thanks for the tip.
Ill reset to 12V
2005 Monterey Ventura IV
(the Beave)
400hp C9 Cat
Towing various old Jeeps

Bob Disney

• BAC Member
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2021, 04:00:04 PM »
I replaced the house batteries since I was not the one who installed them and didn't have a true history of their service life.
This didn't really help with my issues.
They do seem to have a little better power than the ones I took out.
I also reset the AGS to 12.0 V
Running the furnace all night did not run them down far enough to start the generator.
Ill be looking for a inverter pro when we get to Quartzite
2005 Monterey Ventura IV
(the Beave)
400hp C9 Cat
Towing various old Jeeps