Author Topic: 3126 b will turn over but not start  (Read 3264 times)

Mack Turner

3126 b will turn over but not start
« on: January 07, 2021, 05:24:17 PM »
Made it back from South Carolina finally and parked the coach behind my office, attempted to start it yesterday and it started for about 15 seconds and then cut off and now it will turn over but not start? We hit the air purge valve and it seems to be functioning, what they noticed while cranking, don't see much movement in the fuel sight glass, could this be a huey problem?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 06:18:45 PM by Mack Turner »

Mike Shumack

Re: 3126 b will turn over but not crank.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 06:50:13 PM »
Mack, what is the "air purge" you're talking about? I'm not aware of any air purge on the fuel system (there is a water purge on some Raycor fuel/water separator setups).
If the Coach was running fine when you shut it off, and the fuel tank has fuel, then I would be looking at something electrical.

Attached is a troubleshooting (no start) list -

Do you have anti-theft installed? Is the intake air heater working? Are the fuel filters new/clean? Etc.

BTW - the generic term "cranking" is the same as "turning over" - meaning if the engine is cranking it is turning over.  What you should have said (to be more accurate) is the "engine is cranking but will not start".  That doesn't matter here, but if you go to a shop and say the engine "will turn over" but will not crank" it may be misleading to a service writer.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 07:50:37 PM »
Mack,
When did you last fill up with fuel? I had a similar issue with my 3126B a number of year ago. I filled up in El Paso. The engine ran fine to the I10/I20 split (100+ miles) where we spent the night. Next AM it would not fire. Even though I couldn't see water in it, I drained the fuel bowl and pumped fresh fuel from the line into it. I then cranked it and it started. I added fuel each time it was down a 1/4 tank to dilute the suspected bad fuel I got courtesy of Flyin J. End of problem.
Steve
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 08:03:10 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Mack Turner

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 08:28:19 PM »
Mike,
New fuel filters replaced 1500 miles ago, no anti-theft system it started for about 10 seconds yesterday and then cut off. it has a full tank of gas and what I can tell the air intake heaters are functioning properly. I will take a look at the troubleshooting list thanks for your help.
Mack

Mack, what is the "air purge" you're talking about? I'm not aware of any air purge on the fuel system (there is a water purge on some Raycor fuel/water separator setups).
If the Coach was running fine when you shut it off, and the fuel tank has fuel, then I would be looking at something electrical.

Attached is a troubleshooting (no start) list -

Do you have anti-theft installed? Is the intake air heater working? Are the fuel filters new/clean? Etc.

BTW - the generic term "cranking" is the same as "turning over" - meaning if the engine is cranking it is turning over.  What you should have said (to be more accurate) is the "engine is cranking but will not start".  That doesn't matter here, but if you go to a shop and say the engine "will turn over" but will not crank" it may be misleading to a service writer.

Mack Turner

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 08:31:28 PM »
Steve,
we did just fill it up before we parked it so I'll have someone dump the fuel out of that bowl.
Thanks

>:(
Mack,
When did you last fill up with fuel? I had a similar issue with my 3126B a number of year ago. I filled up in El Paso. The engine ran fine to the I10/I20 split (100+ miles) where we spent the night. Next AM it would not fire. Even though I couldn't see water in it, I drained the fuel bowl and pumped fresh fuel from the line into it. I then cranked it and it started. I added fuel each time it was down a 1/4 tank to dilute the suspected bad fuel I got courtesy of Flyin J. End of problem.
Steve

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 12:52:04 AM »
Mack
Have you checked for fault codes.
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Mack Turner

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 05:49:52 AM »
I have not checked the fault codes but I will thanks.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 05:16:41 PM »
Mack
I take it you have the Winn / Raycor fuel separator .
When you ran the air purge or prime cycle did you also push in the shreader valve above the filler to allow the air to purge out
When purging air you have to run the prime pump and hold the shreader valve in untill you get clean clear fuel (no bubbles)
Once you've done that then run the prime pump through several cycles to get the any air in the cylinder head passage and injectors purged back to the return line.
The Winn system has a common air infiltration problem with the O rings on the sight glass pre screen
Which I'm sure your already aware of . This may have allowed air into the system creating your short run and shut down .

Another possibility is low oil pressure which will trigger the ECM to shut down the engine to protect it from damage

In the coach assist section of the forum there are manuals for the Winn fuel system to help explain operation and maintenance
The O rings are readily available day any hydraulic shop.they are made of nitrile and are part#114 and #208 for two each
HEUI problems usually prevent start up or create power issues so I'd doubt that's the problem but an electronic control issue is not out of the question possibly a crank sensor but most of sensor or circuit failures should trigger a fault code .
Once you've eliminated fuel issues then check for fault codes to point you in the right direction.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 07:00:12 PM by Eric Maclean »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Mack Turner

Re: 3126 b will turn over but not start.
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 06:11:42 PM »
Eric,
Thanks for your help, with my back screwed up my girlfriend and her brother drove the bus from SC to MI while I laid in bed in back, he was supposed to be checking the oil but considering it took 6 quarts when it got back my guess is the low oil caused it. I had my facility manager put oil in it yesterday and he was able to get it started and move it from my back door to it's parking spot.

Thanks,
Mack

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
Re: 3126 b will turn over but not start
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 06:27:47 PM »
Good to hear your up and running again I know that was the last thing you wanted to worry about with your back as it is
Hope you can get some relief soon
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: 3126 b will turn over but not start
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 12:40:37 AM »
Mack,
Monitor that oil consumption. If it burned 6 qts in 900-1000 miles, that's excessive and needs attention.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp