Author Topic: 2004 Beaver Monterey  (Read 2174 times)

Ed Beckett

2004 Beaver Monterey
« on: February 02, 2021, 10:34:00 PM »
Control Issue. I have a 2004 Beaver Monterey. Cruise Control works and Brake Lights work. Cruise will turn on and off, accelerate and decelerate but will not disengage via column or brake pedal. Anyone been through this issue? Is there a gang of switches at the Air Brake Pedal? Which one controls this circuit and where is it?

Fuel Gage...Always showing full. Test procedure applied and needle did not move. Guidance?

Many Thanks Ed

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: 2004 Beaver Monterey
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 12:29:17 AM »
Ed
The cruise control is handled within the engines ECM.
The fact that the cruise works tells me the ECM is receiving a signal to turn the cruise on and a signal to set the speed.
But from your description the ECM is not receiving a cancel signal.
With that said the first thing to check is the brake lights ( do they work) if not check circuit breaker CB10 it feeds the brake light switch next check at terminal  T B1-7 that is where the cancel signal is sent from the front electrical bay to the rear of the coach to the ECM wiring  if the signal gets to the T B1-7 terminal then check there would be a diode there if the diode is blown the cruise won't cancel. If the signal is getting past the diode there must be a wiring problem between the diode and the ECM.
The 2004 Monterey wiring diagram for the brake lights  page 21 in the 2004 Monterey wiring diagrams in coach assist will help show the wiring for reference.

Hope this helps
Eric
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 12:59:38 AM by Eric Maclean »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 03:03:07 AM »
Ed,
Let me add a bit more detail to Eric’s inputs.
Fuel Gauge: Pg 20 of the 2004 Monterey wiring diagrams in Coach Assist shows the fuel gauge circuit. Since your gauge is reading full all the time, you have an open circuit between the tank float mechanism and the gauge (or a faulty gauge). Low resistance drives the gauge to full and high resistance (~90 ohms I think) drives it to empty. The wire from the float assy goes thru 2 connectors to get to the gauge. Looks like you’ve got a bad connection (i.e. poor crimp) at one of the connector pins (unlikely), a broken wire (relatively unlikely) or a bad connection at the gauge or a faulty gauge. I’d check at the gauge. If you run 12V thru a variable resistor you should be able to drive a change the gauge reading. That would confirm the gauge is working. Then you’ll need to locate the open wire or run a new wire to the gauge, unless the float mechanism is faulty, which can be checked with a meter.

Cruise Control: The cruise control circuit is not shown in the 04 Monterey diagrams we have. Eric is correct that TB1-7 in the front electrical bay is the brake signal that deactivates the cruise control if the brakes (service or exhaust) is applied.  (See pg 21 in the 2004 Monterey dwgs). Since your brake lights work, I suspect this circuit is working. The 2004 dwgs don’t show the cruise control circuitry but the 03, 05 and 06 Monterey diagrams do and should be very similar to the 04. All show a cruise control deactivate relay that captures both the brake and smart wheel cancel signals. It’s relay 4 (R4 or K4) in the front electrical bay.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Ed Beckett

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 08:29:58 PM »
Thanks Steve, I appreciate the information on the cruise. I just needed a bit of assurance I was on the right track. Believe that diode is the culprit and think it is in in the wiring from one relay to the other. The fuel sending unit I think is in the wiring. I have this vehicle in the shop where they are not familiar with them and Good Sam coverage...Good Sam does not cover wiring so I think I will end up fixing it myself. I bought the rig fairly cheaply so cannot complain...I do not have a place to work on it so may have to find a place for about a month. Too cold outside for now. Again, many thanks for your input.  Ed