Author Topic: Water in fuel light  (Read 4381 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Water in fuel light
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2021, 08:56:12 PM »
Thanks Gene and Bill for providing the link and diagram.  Further on there I checked the blog for the C9, but found an apparent slight information conflict.

At the top of the article a master diagram identifies item #11 as the Primary filter, but further down an HEUI low pressure fuel system diagram implies that same filter (#11) as the secondary filter and #24 as the primary.  Unless I’m missing something, which as a diesel inexpert is quite possible, that second diagram’s legend is not correct and has the filters identified in reverse.  The primary with it’s more porous material should be first after the tank.

https://www.blog-teknisi.com/2018/12/fuel-system-c7-and-c9-caterpillar.html

I hope our supplying these links is not afoul anyone’s copyright or policy;  perhaps Steve can confirm.

https://www.blog-teknisi.com/2011/05/disclaimer.html

-Joel

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2021, 09:16:00 PM »
Joel,
Not sure where that diagram came from but it appears to be incorrect for the C9. In the C9s (at least the majority of them that I am aware of), the primary fuel filter is mounted below and part of the fuel pump. The fuel pump is not part of the injector hydraulic pump.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2021, 11:13:28 PM »
So, Next time I get a water in fuel light, is it 'water in fuel' or 'secondary fuel filter' problem?
Would be nice to have a separate light for each condition.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2021, 06:31:30 PM »
I was mistaken. The pump at the primary filter is a boost pump to increase the volume and pressure of fuel flow to the pump driven by the injector hydraulic pump. Some of us added the boost pump since the design of the C7/C9 calls for the fuel tank to be relatively close to the engine, not 30+ feet away.
My apologies, Joel.  (Memory is the 2nd thing that goes with age :) )
Steve
Steve

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2021, 08:17:00 PM »
Yeah, that didn’t seem right... the main C9 pump being directly associated with the primary filter.  My filter doesn’t appear to be that way, so I was scratching my head when you said that, but then I’m a relative novice on the subject.  I do remember, however, discussions of Dave’s suggestion to add the boost pump.

My rig has never had the associated issue, and my shorter coach I think positions the tank closer to the pump system than others that may experience inadequate pressures.  If I ever manage to get to Dave’s Arizona facility I figured on having him analyze our whole configuration, and implement his advice accordingly.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2021, 12:56:22 AM »
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
Steve

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2021, 06:45:31 AM »
To follow up on this. I was able to get Napa "equivalent" primary and secondary fuel filter shipped to nearby Napa store. I replaced the primary with some difficulty. The filter was really stuck and strap wrench collapsed the filter no matter where I gripped it (was thinking I really got myself in a pinch laying there in the rain). Finally wrapped the filter in some thick double stick tape I had and that kept the strap wrench from slipping and finally allowed me to get it off. There was some water droplets in drained fuel so I'm thinking my "water in fuel light" was actually from the primary filter detector. My coach manual also indicates that light is driven by primary water detector. Maybe the secondary pressure drop also drives that light or perhaps the "Engine Warning Light". The owners manual is not clear on what trips the warning lght.

The racor priming procedure worked as advertised and the CAT started without a hiccup and ran great on the trip home. I'm keeping the Napa secondary filter as a spare and will put in the recommended CAT filter before next trip. It looks like a bear to get to sitting there between rail and engine.

Put a check next to another item on my list of how to keep this thing rolling down the road.
-Gene

2005 Beaver Marquis, Ruby 40, C-13 Cat 525HP, Allison 4k
Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2021, 07:41:14 AM »
My 25’ Searay sport cruiser’s oil filter hit me with that issue on a road trip north to the San Juan Islands 45 years back.  Fortunately I’d stopped to do the maintenance and overnight at my sister’s in Bellevue on the way.  My brother-in-law was the regional service rep for Oldsmobile division of GM, and handed me an oversized screwdriver (16”?) to literally punch through the middle of the filter.  That offered essentially two handles to apply torque to, and the filter came off.   But, oh by the way, it’s a bit messy.

I’ve since found many experienced techs that have occasion to use this not too uncommon technique.  Be sure you’ve applied some fuel to the new seal before screwing a replacement filter on, and tighten per engine/filter recommendations.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat