Author Topic: Chassis Suspension Noise  (Read 1677 times)

Mark Bodenhamer

Chassis Suspension Noise
« on: February 05, 2021, 04:39:45 PM »
Got a Roadmaster M chassis I just noticed a horn sound coming from the driver side wheel. It appears at low speed <25mph it occurs on speed bumps and slight dips in the road, but not constantly. It might be there at highway speed but with all the squeaks and rattling I can’t tell. My guess is either shock or air bag, both look good to me.  I’m obviously going to have it looked at in the near future. Any thoughts on what it could be? To save money on the mechanic what should I have him specifically look for? As always thanks for your time.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Chassis Suspension Noise
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 07:47:59 PM »
Mark
I think in 03 the Roadmaster M chassis was actually the last of the Magnum chassis which Monico rebadged as Roadmaster.
If so the torque rods on the front H frame came factory sealed and lubed with dust covers on there ball ends the seal with age tends  to disintegrate and the moistures entering causes rust and siezes the ball ends causing a heavy squeek or growning noise over bumps as the suspension travels.
You may be able to duplicate the noise by dumping the air bags and reinflating them.
You might have to replaced the effected torque rod.
Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Mark Bodenhamer

Re: Chassis Suspension Noise
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 02:11:10 PM »
Thanks, Eric. I’ll start there.