General Boards > Technical Support

Hurricane heater main fuse blowing

(1/10) > >>

Jim Gillespie:
1998 Hurricane, older control board with 3 fuses (main, fan, pump), just started blowing main fuse within ~5 seconds of turning system heat on.  I don't see the issue addressed except to replace with same fuse in the owner's manual.  The igniter/burner lights up a bit & tries to get going but then the fuse blows.  Any idea where to start looking?  Thanks in advance.

Fred Brooks:
    Jim,
 Not sure which model you have, CO-45? We need to divide and conquer to find the cause. I would guess and try unplugging the fuel pump first as this is the most common part to wear out first. Then the recirculation pumps, then the compressor. ITR 800-993-4402 (international thermal research) may still have parts. Advise on your mechanical ability to tackle the repair and the results of your trouble-shooting. Hope this helps, Fred

Jim Gillespie:
Thanks for the response Fred.  It is the 45 (not sure about the CO?).  I have to take a break from looking at this as the weather is going to be icy & snowing here for the next 3 or 4 days (just north of I-10, central Texas).  We are not relying on it for shelter so it's not an emergency situation.  Yesterday was dry so was trying for a quick fix to keep the RV water lines/parts warm during this cold snap.  Unfortunately, my Comfort Hot has quit producing heat as well.  Only 1 leg was working as the other leg would trip the breaker & the Main breaker as soon as energized.  Good news is just drained, flushed & refilled antifreeze in the system so we should be good with this single digit weather coming (new 50/50 antifreeze tested to -10 degrees).  Running circulating pump 24/7 for a few days as well.

Far from a pro but fairly mechanical/electrically inclined from years of farm work & door machine work.  When a door machine tech will cost you $3000+ per visit, you somehow get a little smarter in figuring out what's wrong with this fairly complicated, expensive equipment.  Haven't made that call yet, knock on wood.  Likewise, when 300 acres of hay is ready to harvest, every morning while the dew is drying you have to be maintaining your tractors, cutters, rakes, tedders, balers, etc.

Fred Brooks:
  Jim,
 Sorry about the weather, we will tackle this when you feel comfortable. Glad to hear it won't get hurt while this cold snap moves thru. Happy to hear you can do mechanical stuff. Fred

Jim Gillespie:
Hi Fred,
      Actually 1 element of the Comfort Hot (CH) is working after all - I was flipping the wrong breaker.  Anyway, getting a little heat through the lines.  I was hoping to address the CH faulty element + improve a repaired kinked hose in the Hurricane from 2 x 90s to a loop after flushing the antifreeze during the holidays but Covid bit me in early January & still not cleared, had more blood work done Friday.  Saturday, had to refill the Hurricane with fresh 50/50 to avoid a water only disaster.  Good thing, with the power outages we are having today the CH might have not have kept the straight water warm enough.  Anyway, looks like I have a shorted heat element on 1 side of the CH?
       I see you reference Proverbs in your profile.  1 of my most cherished memories is reading Proverbs for the 1st time (at least the 1st time that I was hungry for knowledge) as a lost 19 year old & realizing there it was:  my parent's blueprint of our upbringing.  How right they were about everything.  Life sure got a lot better.  Thanks again for your help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version