Author Topic: Hurricane heater main fuse blowing  (Read 13249 times)

Thayden Waltonen

Re: Hurricane heater main fuse blowing
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2021, 10:38:31 PM »
    Thayden,
If you look in "coach assist" under heating and air conditioning you will find the Hurricane CO45 manual. On page 3-2 is the drawing (fig 3-1) of how the hurricane and the dwh are configured and plumbed. 3-3 shows the required elevation. Hope this helps, Fred

thanks, i've seen the manual and the general diagrams. the pump on this coach is definitely not set up below the hurricane. i assume it is the original location. don't see any holes or evidence it was moved but I suppose it is possible. no circulation problems despite being above the Hurricane and that coordinates with my day job understanding of hydronic circuits. yes air tends to build up at  to the highest point in the system but the heater compartment where all this is located is below most of the heating system so i'm not sweating it at this point.

I'm going to add some pressure gauges to monitor what's going on, but right now i'm not planning on moving the circulator. I was just musing about this 'requirement' as jim cited it.

brian

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2021, 10:50:59 PM »
I believe that my Hurricane is wired up pretty much like you are describing yours.  I have included a picture for comparison.  The second picture is my inside switches.  The second switch from the left turns on the Hurricane pump, the first switch opens up the the engine heat circuit.  I believe it has to be on to either receive heat from the engine or to preheat the engine.  The last light has nothing to do with the Hurricane system.  It comes on when you turn on the plumbing system pump for the house water.  I took me a while to figure it out since initially it was burned out, and then after finally locating a bulb that would fit, it worked from a totally different pump.

Hopefully you can make some sense of this. I have not followed the hoses to where they go so I am not much help there.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2021, 12:05:26 AM »
Theyden
Looking at the pictures Carl posted it appears that the plate exchanger is installed so that the hot fluid is being
Pumped from the Hurricane to the plate exchanger which is heating the cold water entering the water heater and then it moves on through the water heaters internal heat exchange coil .
I can only assume the plate exchanger was installed to try and increase the recovery rate of the hot water heater to produce a higher gallon per minute when heated will the hurricane or engine.
Eric

1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Jim Gillespie

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2021, 02:36:33 AM »
Hi Thayden,
       My pump was working fine up higher & I wouldn't have remounted it except I erroneously thought it needed replacing + needing to change my coolant.  After changing out the pump, the circulation was still sub-par & finally found the problem:  a kinked hose.  Eventually I need to make some other repairs, so the remount has been worth it for draining ease alone.  The downside:  if I sling rubber from a tire blowout & tear the pump, etc all to pieces.
       I saw your 12V pump post...try Amazon for a 120V Sump Marine 330GPH (i.e. 5+gpm) transfer pump for $50.  That's identical to what I bought & it works flawlessly.  I was wondering why you are removing your Hurricane to work on it as my coach has plenty of room to remove the left side cover where most of the components are.  Thanks Carl for the picture showing the limited space on the left side in a Patriot but the Patriot is nice having both the DHW & Hurricane together in 1 bay, unlike mine.
      Last, thanks for the tip on buying a Power Probe, which just came in.  I was unaware of such & look forward to it's benefits.

The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks