Author Topic: HWH Auto Air Leveling on 06 Monterey Question/Advice  (Read 2406 times)

Andrew Shoen

• BAC Member
HWH Auto Air Leveling on 06 Monterey Question/Advice
« on: February 14, 2021, 02:12:43 PM »
Hey everyone.
I hope you all are doing well and enjoying your Beavers!

I had my HWH air leveling recalibrated about a year ago at BCS. I was about half a bubble out of center....(story of my life :))

For a while it would level well after recalibration, using the auto leveling on my 06 Monterey. It didn't seem to work too hard, lowered a side, raised a back or front and finished being level.

Fast forward. I noticed that my bay door would catch the side of the slide out (drivers side) and my bathroom door would swing closed. The computer seemed to be adjusting the coach way more than "normal", but would ultimately flash the red light, suggesting I was level. I was not.

Last week, I returned from a walk to notice the bottom left corner of my windshield was cracked in three places and ran up about two feet towards the roof.  The window replacement guy had me adjust manually and then also automatically before he replaced the glass to figure out what was going on.

He noticed than when in travel mode my left front sat lower than right front (from site, not ride height I think), but it also seemed that way at my next site which I felt to be almost level when still in travel mode. He watched the glass as I auto leveled. I wasn't that unlevel and it seemed to be working more than I thought necessary. It was stressing the glass in the left corner, so I returned to travel mode and he replaced the glass

I don't want to stress the glass so the rest of the trip I just parked and didn't use the system. I have an appointment at BCS in April, but just wondering if you have heard of this happening?

I am very particular about all of my equipment, and want everything working as it should. I know something is not right, but I don't know what.

Any suggestions or advice is greatly welcomed.

Thanks.
2006 Beaver Monterey Pacifica
C9

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: HWH Auto Air Leveling on 06 Monterey Question/Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 02:31:25 PM »
Our coach also has HWH automatic/manual airbag leveling.  Our coach also has automatic/manual hydraulic leveling with three jacks - one jack in the center front and two jacks rear - left and right.  As you know, when doing automatic leveling, the system uses a bubble level.  Sometimes the bubble may need adjustment but why, I would ask, would it need adjustment unless it has moved.  When in travel mode, the system used three ride-height valves connected to their individual ride-height linkages.  If your coach seems to be confused when it is using travel mode, then you could have a loose ride-height linkage or a failing ride-height air valve.  And to complicate things more, there are 6-packs of air valves (three or four, I forget now) that both the automatic and ride-height travel mode valves use.  I trust someone who knows more about these details will chime in and perhaps be able to point you in a more firm direction.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 09:16:18 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Andrew Shoen

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: HWH Auto Air Leveling on 06 Monterey Question/Advice
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 07:59:59 PM »
Until it's diagnosed, I'd dump the air while parked so all bags remain the same regardless.

When parked check that the vertical bay door gaps are even top to bottom.

Our '06 did the same thing when new and parked by the house.  Slow cracking developed over a few months.  Monaco here in Oregon found the windshield was misinstalled at the factory, apparently a common thing with the then new style single windshields.  My gravel "pad" wasn't level;  though the front tires were on concrete, the streetside rear gravel was lower than the curbside by a few inches.  The slight slope from front to back was (is) fine, but that low left caused too much twist.

Joel
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 08:13:57 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Andrew Shoen