Author Topic: CAT 3126 oil pressure indicates high  (Read 3384 times)

Jeffrey Antonelli

• BAC Member
CAT 3126 oil pressure indicates high
« on: February 22, 2021, 10:17:37 PM »
Hello All -

This may be a question for Dave Atherton. My recently purchased 1996 Beaver Patriot is showing idle oil pressure of just over 50 PSI, and driving oil pressure of about 75 PSI. The red light is on. This is my third day of driving it after purchase, and a saga of straightening out an electrical problem causing the Allison trans to pop out of gear into neutral. That problem is fixed and I am enjoying gettig used to driving this 40 foot beauty.

Is this indicated higher pressure an immediate problem?

If so, can anyone recommend a CAT mechanic in Chicagoland area? Thank you.

Thanks in advance!
1996 Patriot Yorktown

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: CAT 3126 oil pressure indicates high
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 11:48:31 PM »
Jeffery
Your coach should have a Magnumdrive display which will give you readouts from the engines ECM check the oil pressure using it to compare with the dash gauge .
The dash gauges are notorious for being inaccurate in the trade we used to call them optomometers.
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 03:09:36 AM »
Here are specs for oil pressure on the 3126
Min oil pressure at idle 15 psi
Max oil pressure 88 psi
Your pressures are within specs with your upper number being close to the max spec I wouldn't worry about it
Drive on
Hope this helps
Eric
 http://www.catengine.info/workshop/3126/3116-and-3126-truck-engines-measuring-engine-oil-pressure.html#:~:text=With%20the%20engine%20at%20operating,100%20kPa%20(15%20psi).
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 04:26:02 AM »
Jeffrey, the reason for excessive high oil pressure there is a stuck check on the engine oil cooler.
Note: there is a update bulletin on the plastic plunger and spring. Over time the plastic plunger
will break down the sealing seat. Location top of engine cooler on end (20mm hex plug). Dave
Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Jeffrey Antonelli

Jeff Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 08:43:23 AM »
Jeffrey,
  I realize that the Magnumdrive is not the source of your problem but......
  I have the same year Beaver coach as yours. I had the Magnumdrive fail after only a few months. May I suggest you try and find
 a Silverleaf panel from a RV scrap/recycle yard. Vastly superior in functionality, user friendly and it drops right in the same spot.
 I bought mine from Colaw RV and talked to Mark at Silverleaf when I sent it in to get the latest upgrades etc.
  Just a thought.
  Good luck getting it all sorted out.

Jeff Johnson
1996 Patriot Savannah
CAT 3126B

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 11:13:52 PM »
Jeffery
The oil cooler check valve which Dave has spoken of is located at the top front corner of the oil cooler and is accessable externally .
Most of these engines run 20 to 35 psi at idle (hot) and 45 to 55 psi at hwy speeds (hot)
You maybe should speak with Dave about the TSB (technical service bulletin) although your oil pressure is still within max spec over time high oil pressure can cause unseen problems with bearings , oil coolers etc
Hope this helps
Eric

http://www.catengine.info/workshop/3126/3116-3126-truck-engines-engine-oil-cooler-bypass-valve-remove-install.html
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Jeffrey Antonelli

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2022, 04:50:19 AM »
Dave thank you! I just read your reply now, one year later. I am planning on bringing it in to a CAT dealer to update the old fuel water separator system and this is an issue they can look into. Thanks again sir.

Jeffrey, the reason for excessive high oil pressure there is a stuck check on the engine oil cooler.
Note: there is a update bulletin on the plastic plunger and spring. Over time the plastic plunger
will break down the sealing seat. Location top of engine cooler on end (20mm hex plug). Dave
1996 Patriot Yorktown
The following users thanked this post: Ron Davis

Ron Davis

• BAC Member
  • Ron and Noah, Parrot Pets Marley and Tika,
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2022, 08:46:45 PM »
Dave thank you! I just read your reply now, one year later. I am planning on bringing it in to a CAT dealer to update the old fuel water separator system and this is an issue they can look into. Thanks again sir.

Please let me know what fuel water separator you guys go with for you 3126.  I bypassed mine last year and am in the works to put a replacement in.   There seems to be many options…. Been trying to keep it simple and use actual CAT hardware.
1996 Beaver Patriot Trenton
CAT3126 Allison 6sp 3000
Magnum B Chassis
Flat Towing a 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited