Author Topic: Replacing 1000CCA BATTERIES WITH 1150 CCA; NEED HELP SETTING UP INVERTER  (Read 2169 times)

Jerald Hosier

Replacing old batteries (Yocuum 31s-1000) with Odyssee 31-PC2150s which are 1150 CCA. Both batteries are AGM’s. My inverter is a Xantrex SW2512MC. I have reviewed the OEM manual for the inverter and the Operators manual for the MH and have determined I’m in this over my head. Can someone tell me if I need to adjust the inverter due to the increase of 150 CCA? If so, can somebody tell me where I can find explicit instructions on how to adjust the inverter that an electrical moron can understand. Thanks for any/all assistance.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
    Jerald,
  CCA means "cold cranking Amps" It means the ability to deliver "short bursts of high energy", such as needed when trying to start a cold diesel engine. The extra 150 amps you have will help if you are in really cold weather or as the battery ages more capacity.
   Seeing that you are replacing the chassis batteries with a similar type there is nothing for you to change. The house batteries are your main concern when changing to a different type, example: from lead acid type to an AGM type. I do not have the model of your TRACE (Xantrex) remote control, but that is where you could look up the settings in the event you did have to change the set up. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Jerald
Are these your chassis batteries or coach batteries.
The reason I ask is the batteries you have bought seem to be cranking batteries and not deep cycle batteries.
If you are using them for your chassis they will be fine the CCA or cold cranking amp rating doesn't make any difference to the charging system but the fact they are AGM ( absorbed glass matt) does as the AGM batteries require different charge profile to realize their full potential.
The coach batteries should be a deep cycle type battery wheather it be fllooded lead acid or AGM or lithium.
The major difference is in battery construction a regular flooded lead acid battery can only be drawn down 25% from full charge where as a deep cycle flooded and AGM lead acid can be drawn down to 50% and lithium ion batteries can be drawn down almost 90% from full charge .

Regardless of the type of battery drawing them down repeatedly below these levels will severely shorten there life expectancy.
Although there are both cranking batteries and deep cycle batteries made in AGM they are very different in construction a cranking battery was designed to deliver a high amp output for a short period while a deep cycle was designed to deliver a lower amp out put for a much longer period

Cranking batteries are usually rated in CCA which rates the batteries ability to deliver a number of amps at a given temperature.
Deep cycle batteries are rated in AH ( amp hours ) the number of hours delivered at a given amp draw.

To answer your question if you are using cranking AGM batteries as your chassis you should not need to change your charging profile as these where created as drop-in replacements for automotive truck batteries and can live happily on your existing alternators charge profile as the alternator has no equalization charge level.
How ever if you are using these as coach batteries your charge profile for your inverter should probably be changed to a setting more appropriate for AGM batteries as the float and equalization setting will be different.

Sorry about the novel
Hope this helps
 Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Jerald Hosier

Fred / Eric, Thank you both for the info. My apologies for not telling you these will be used as engine cranking batteries. The info you provided backed up what I came away with after a lot of reading but it’s nice to have guidance from you experts. Thanks again.

Fred, Did I read in one of the threads that you will be holding a class on the inverter? If not too far away, I’ll be there.

William Jordan

Starting at page 255 of the 2003 beaver Marquis manual is a fairly complete explanation/ settings for your trace inverter. ( assuming my 03 Marquis is the same) I downloaded a pdf file into my Apple Books but I’ll be darned if I can link it to you
I believe I got it here at BAC in the archived manuals.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Jerald, I was scheduled to give a seminar at the rally in Quartzite this past January about Inverter/Chargers. Unfortunately I contracted Covid on the 8th of January and had to quarantine. All is good now.
  Glad to hear you figured it out because my impression was that you were replacing chassis batteries with new chassis batteries but with more cranking amps (CCA) which requires no changes at the inverter/charger. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6