General Boards > Technical Support

Engine Lights

(1/1)

Michael Hannan:
Hello.  For the most part my 2003 Marquis with a Cat C-12 is parked.  I start it every month or so to ensure that everything still moves.  Last month when I started it the Check Engine light came on.  I looked in the manual and found how to check for faults by using the number of flashes of that light.  Today I decided to take the time to count the flashes to see what it was telling me. After letting the air come up to pressure the engine shut off shortly after.  I started it again.  This time the check engine light came on, went out and came on again followed by the Engine Warning Light.  I don't know what the that light means even after searching through the  forums.  I worried that if I run the engine to catch the code for the Check Engine light I may damage the engine if the Engine Warning Light is on too.  Does anyone know what causes the Engine Warning light to come on and is it safe for me to run the engine to catch the code for the Check Engine light being on?

Thanks

Joel Ashley:
Others here will know best, but I don't think you need to run the engine to get the codes.  I've never had to do it, but I'd guess just putting the ignition to "On" and lighting up the dash should give you access to the codes. 

I'd also reconsider starting up the engine regularly while in storage.   Unless you're getting it up to full highway temperature,  that practice can be more harm than good.

You might check your coolant expansion tank as an easy first move.  Low coolant, below the sensor in the tank, is a common cause of the engine problem lamps.  If it does prove low, look for hose and fitting leaks, or cracks in the tank or around its fittings.

Joel

Eric Maclean:
Michael
Joel is correct you shouldn't have to run the engine to get the codes just turn the ignition to the run position and use the cruise switches to initiate the sequence.
Your Cat probably doesn't have an exhaust after treatment system in 2003
If it where newer I would hazard a guess that the codes where particulate trap related.
Check the obvious first engine oil level and coolant level both can cause lights and engine protect shut down
But first get the codes from the engine as it will give you a better idea of what to look for
You might want to contact Dave Atherton and see what he has to say
Hope this helps
Eric

Michael Hannan:
Thanks for the help guys.  From now on, I won't fire her up unless I'm going to run her on the road.  Also thanks for the things to check first.

MJ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version