Author Topic: Water in the basement  (Read 2132 times)

Mark Bodenhamer

Water in the basement
« on: March 15, 2021, 11:05:32 PM »
Had a wee bit of rain and the basement had 3/8" standing water. It’s a bit of a challenge finding where the water is coming in from. It’s a 03 Monterey with three slides. The cubbies are part of the slide and they got soaked. The curbside was the worst.  On both curb and street sides the sides and ceilings were dry. Water was only on the bottom. Could be the gaskets but it doesn’t look like it. The frames appear to be a hollow and water is seeping through the ends on both sides. Could this be the where the water is coming from? When I dig out the stuff that’s plugging the ends any suggestions on what to seal them up with? Any ideas otherwise? We have plastic bins that cover most of the floor if it was to come from the top it would have filled the bins with water, they were dry.  The only color change of the carpeting (wet vs dry) is the floor. The ceiling lights are dry as well.

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
Re: Water in the basement
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 12:03:40 AM »
It is hard to tell from the pictures where it might be coming from. I personally would start at the top near where the drip meets the roof and then follow it down.  I have had water get in behind the drip well and make its way down to the basement.  It follows the wall so the bins would stay dry.  Next I would look over the belt trim area to see if it is loose at all.  If you had blowing rain I guess it could come in from the ends, but the one picture makes it look like it ran down.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 12:24:24 AM »
To follow try to put duct tape over the area you think it is leaking, if that fixes it then thoroughly caulk that area.  That is the best way I have found to isolate the leak area.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Neal E Weinmann

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 02:14:36 AM »
Carl’s suggestions seem sound. Water and gravity work effortlessly to frustrate us. I recently resealed the upper joint on the belt line cap of our coach as a preventative maintenance measure, as water getting behind it seemed like a likely path for water to challenge the door seals and possibly enter the lower compartments. Here’s hoping it’s not up at the upper seam, as that would seem to suggest that it might indeed be in the wall.
2005 Monterey Bayview IV
CAT C9 400HP
2018 Ford Edge Titanium

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 02:13:43 PM »
Mark
As mentioned earlier the belt line seam is a likely source of water it should be sealed to the wall if it isn't the water gets in behind it and can get into the lower compartments and the slide floor.
The other sport to check is the seal around each baggage door pull handle if they leak the water gets into the door and on into the baggage compartment.
And as mentioned earlier you need check the upper seams as well as gravity will carry water a long way from it's entry point.
It's never fun or easy to find and fix a leak.
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Mark Bodenhamer

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 04:41:04 PM »
I’m don’t know what the belt line seam is.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 06:23:56 PM »
In the photo you posted, you can see the belt line trim piece just above the baggage doors, runs from the front door all the way to the rear cap. Its just under the orange clearance light behind the front tire in the upper right photo you posted.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."