Author Topic: 2006 Monterey Roof Cracks  (Read 1702 times)

krsnyder

2006 Monterey Roof Cracks
« on: March 21, 2021, 09:46:30 PM »
My 2006 Beaver Monterey has developed cracks in the roof. I'm assuming its the front and rear caps on the driver side. Years ago Beaver Coach Service Center repaired this same problem on the front passenger side. Does the BCSC still have a paint facility? Is there a paint facility in the Phoenix area that can be recommend? Any ideas?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: 2006 Monterey Roof Cracks
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 12:10:02 AM »
Yes, BCS can repair it, as can Bend RV Repair.  But you may have to schedule months out.

Before our coach was even delivered in 2006, the BCS' senior paint guy at the time spotted a familiar problem with '06 Montereys, inadequate fiberglassing of the rear cap to roof transition.  Apparently it had become something he looked for as sales progressed.  I guess the factory scrimped on the layers prescribed, and faint fault lines or nano cracks could be seen by experienced body men.  They ground things down and laid more fiberglass and repainted up there.

The other Monaco factory issue showed up a few years ago, and many here can attest;  the clear coat is flaking off on both caps and the roof rails.  Either they didn't put enough layers down or used clear coat that didn't have enough UV resistance.  That is not an inexpensive fix.  The sun is not clear coat's friend.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

krsnyder

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 03:32:58 PM »
Thanks for the not so good news. I'll call BCS.

Bob Disney

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 07:13:16 PM »
For those of us in the Central US there is a real reasonable facility in Searcy Arkansas called Fog Doctor
I went there to address a problem with a fogged entry door window and was totally surprised at their shop.
Not only did they have my window fixed in about a hour and a half, they did some sealing of my windshield at no cost.
I think they had 8 bays, all of them were spotless and very professional, also a spray booth that can handle any coach I have ever seen.
They have full hookups at each entry door so if you are having body work done you can stay in your coach as the work progressed.
They can do any body work required at a reasonable cost.
Its a beautiful area and quite easy to find things to entertain you as your work is being done.
I had a quote for some work I hope to have done soon and was pleasantly surprised at how affordable they are.

2005 Monterey Ventura IV
(the Beave)
just fits in the 40' shed
400hp C9 Cat
Towing various old Jeeps