Author Topic: Number of video feeds for Aladdin  (Read 2593 times)

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
Number of video feeds for Aladdin
« on: March 22, 2021, 08:38:09 AM »
I have the 2 mirror side cameras and the backup cam that seem to work Ok. But when Aladdin cycles through the channels there's a 4th channel with only noise? Could this be something related to the Kenwood monitor the previous owner pulled out? I was thinking it might be Nav and turned that OFF on the Aladdin screen but it didn't change anything. Doesn't seem like this should be expected behavior. Any ideas?
-Gene

2005 Beaver Marquis, Ruby 40, C-13 Cat 525HP, Allison 4k
Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Number of video feeds for Aladdin
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 02:01:20 PM »
   Gene, Some systems had a DVD input and some even had an interior camera that was used as a rear view mirror but I do not think Monaco used that option. What do you have in mind that you wish to monitor? Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 05:37:22 PM »
There's no 4th item I want to monitor and I just want to turn off the "dead" 4th feed. When cycling thru cams I see left cam, right cam, rear cam, snow/horizontal bars, repeat. Doesn't seem like they would have designed the system like this so my thought is something is not set up right or fubar.
-Gene

Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 06:25:11 PM »
If you can find an old school TV repairman, he might be able to come up with a 'shorting plug' for the 'extra' RCA connector on the Aladdin video distribution panel. Come to think of it, there is an electronics store in Mt Vernon that might be helpful.

http://www.electronic-supply.com/
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 07:12:20 PM »
I've been trying to reply all morning - I can open a "reply" window, but no text shows up when I try to type something into that replay box. Of course now its working.

On the Aladdin system, as mentioned above, there are four video inputs (rear camera, 2 side cameras, and an interior camera (a.k.a. Aux In)). If you don't have an interior camera the screen will just scroll to a blank video channel.

I'm not sure what a "shorting plug" will do. As fas as I know, the Aladdin will still scroll to that 4th channel (maybe the screen wont be static - i.e. black instead). But be careful as the Aladdin unit is no longer manufactured so if you mess it up, it is really expensive to replace with another brand like Silverleaf.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 10:07:38 PM »
Mike, I'm not sure a 'shorting plug' is the solution, that's why I included a link to an expert (which I am not!). 
525 hp C13

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 10:19:07 PM »
Another 'expert' to seek out might be a video security guy. Problem would be the same as that for a security system that 'scans' cameras in order, but one camera is missing or just not used. So a video security expert would have come across the same problem. Just thinking out loud.
525 hp C13

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 08:05:53 AM »
Ok, thanks guys. It sounds like its normal for it to just cycle through the 4th video feed- used or not. I was hoping there was some config setting somewhere that I just wasn't finding that would allow me to select which video feeds were active. Half of my problem with this 3rd owner coach is trying to figure out what's changed by previous owners or broke vs what was just designed that way. Looks like in this case it was just designed that way.

I think I will find the unused input port on the Aladdin and just put a RCA to coax adapter on it with a 75ohm termination (since I have those lying around). At least when it cycles through I should just see a black screen. Since it's an input hard to believe that a termination could harm anything - but I'll let you know.
-Gene

Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 11:13:34 AM »
Ours does the same thing.  Without an indoor camera or some other camera or audio feed beyond the side and back cameras, the “Aux” 4th feed remains active as static.  Doesn’t really bother me.

Now when one of the side cameras occasionally shows noise, and never when a tech checks it...     >:(

Joel
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 11:24:11 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 02:29:57 PM »
Gentlemen good morning, want to throw out little information with messenger systems and
Motorhomes with many years behind them. What is starting to be a trend with many our dash gauges
and our messenger engine diagnostic center which gauge do yo believe or go by ? What is happened
Using Caterpillar ET reading out engine diagnostic information there are different readings on
Messenger system, dash gauges and engine ECM. My big issue here in troubleshooting for example,
heating problem with no coolant being lost. Again which gauge do you believe and why is the caterpillar
ECM giving incorrect information to gauges and aftermarket equipment but Cat ET diagnostic service
tool reads out engine ECM with correct data information. My thoughts owner feel that the equipment
on dash is correct but there must be something wrong with diagnostic equipment or The ECM is not
correct. Is there. the electronic gauges along with aftermarket code readers need to be checked ?
Replacement of sensors , radiator etc  thermostats etc, whereas problem is not in faulty parts but up
front in driver view. Remember the owner makes that choice. The  mechanic can only suggest what
and where problem could be. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 05:03:21 PM »
Dave, point taken. I recently had the "water in fuel" light and my first reaction was well another electrical gadget just broke as opposed to their being something actually wrong with the fuel system. Still learning my coach and not knowing exactly where are those dash lights all get their input does give me some lack of confidence in their validity. But in this case the fuel in water light was real and due to common problem of clogged fuel filter. Yesterday, as a matter of fact I found a 6pin BlueFire ECM diagnostic gadget on Ebay and purchased it and will display ECM data on may spare Samsung tablet. So I'm going to get that running and have 2nd set of always on diagnostics that I know are coming directly from ECM data. Any folks here using Bluefire and have awesome gauge setup I can import?

https://bluefire-llc.com/website/motorhomes . If you have older MH like me and have 6pin ECM port they don't sell 6pin anymore. If you purchase from Bluefire you need to get 9pin with 9pin-6pin adapter making it pretty expensive combo. But I found Ok price ($140) for a new 6pin on Ebay.
-Gene

Towing 2018 F-150
Washington